× Members

ESA support group-PIP-CA. Nearing retirement age.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293194 by alfwithair58
Good afternoon everyone

I have a question about if I should claim or defer my state pension.
Our situation is probably similar to many others, so I will try to explain as best I can.

We are a couple. My wife receives ESA support group for us both (£366.80@2weeks)
She also gets PIP at both mobility and care at the enhanced rate (£737.20@4weeks)
I recieve Carers Allowance (£327.60@4weeks)
We also receive Housing Benefit.

My query is;
I am 66 in October 24 and have received a letter to claim my state pension.
However, I am not entitled to the full amount, just £113 per week.
My wife will not recieved her state pension (full) until March 25

If I claim my pension in Oct I have been told I will loose my Carers allowance and my pension amount will be deducted from my wife ESA.

My quandary is should I claim in October or defer until next March when we can both claim state pension amounts as our ESA claim will end.
Things are a stretch now, without sustaining an income drop for 5 months if there is no necessary to.
Any help or advice regarding the above would be most welcome as finding any kind of in person benefits advisers where we live is impossible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293224 by LL26
Hi alfwithair58,
For certain you can not receive state pension and still get carer's allowance. This is because CA is paid to those you can't work or can't work as much due to caring. It always finishes at state pension age. ESA is the same and generally stops at state pension age.
I think it is really important that you seek proper benefits advice and do a benefits check. Whilst you may not be able to be paid ESA or CA, state pension does hsve minimum guarantee amount, and it is possible that you may qualify for extra money if you don't reach the guarantee level.
Have a look here:
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...4JccGS2MhcTt74hD-kdD
Also here
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...KzHi4_zVccDIDY1Dsg_Z

I can't advise whether you should defer your state pension, but if you wanted to claim pension credits, DWP might argue that you would need to take your pension. If you can get pension credits then having a smaller state pension wouldn't necessarily matter.
Make sure you are totally clear on your entitlement before making any decisions.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.