× Members

Carer's Allowance

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293280 by Hughie
Carer's Allowance was created by Hughie
Hi Everyone
I am hoping I can receive the needed information with my query if possible? Up until 3 weeks ago, my Wife was claiming Carer's Allowance for me. I am on Enhanced rates of Care and Mobility of PIP indefinitely. We did apply for a DHP but we were turned down. This was in part, down to us as they wanted us to produce almost 80 receipts over a certain time period for shopping, petrol, fuel, Physio etc, etc. It just became too much and we lost a number of receipts. As a result, we have to pay £102 a week rent and my Wife has gone back to her former employment in a Care Home doing 22 hours a week. Can I please ask two things?
1). Will my Wife receive one further payment of her Carer's Allowance as I understand it is paid in arrears? She received hers every 4 weeks.
2). Can someone please explain to me what Underlying Entitlement to Carer's Allowance is and if we qualify? Also, if we do, does it mean extra payment or help with Council Tax, rent? I have also heard mention of Carer's Premium, but once again, this is way above my head.
I would really appreciate the relevant information and I can then pass it to our local council offices as I believe they are now re-assessing our Council Tax entitlement as we never paid any when my Wife was claiming Carer's. It is just a minefield and I don't know where to look.
Thank You in advance.
Hughie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293304 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Carer's Allowance
Hi Hughie

I cannot answer your question as we do not have all the facts such as how old are you both, what income your wife earns.

I will try and give you some basic information.

Who is eligible to claim Carer's Allowance?

Anyone would be eligible if they:

a) ~ spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person (you don't have to live with them or be related to them)
b) ~ care for someone who receives the higher-rate or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance
c) ~ do not earn more than £151 a week (after deductions)
d) ~ are not in full-time education

You don't have to be related to or live with the person you care for to claim Carer's Allowance. It's extra money each week for you to use as you want or need to.

If you think you won't be eligible to claim Carer’s Allowance because you have some savings, don't worry. Your savings and your National Insurance record won’t make a difference to your claim.

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Overlapping benefits

You cannot usually be paid Carer’s Allowance if you receive one or more of the following benefits:

~ State Pension
~ contributory Employment and Support Allowance
~ Incapacity Benefit
~ Maternity Allowance
~ Bereavement or widow’s benefits
~ Severe Disablement Allowance
~ contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

This is because of the ‘overlapping benefits’ rules.

This means that if you are getting more than the amount of Carer’s Allowance from one of the above benefits, you cannot be paid Carer’s Allowance, however you can still claim an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance.

To claim an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance you have to meet all of the conditions for Carer’s Allowance and you must still make a claim for Carer’s Allowance.

Having an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance can increase any means-tested benefits you are already getting or might mean you become entitled to means-tested benefits for the first time. This is because the carer premium, carer addition or carer element can be included in the calculation for means-tested benefits.

However, if any of the benefits listed above are paid at less than the amount of Carer’s Allowance, you could be paid a small amount of Carer’s Allowance on top of the other benefit you get.

State Pensions

While there is no upper age limit for claiming Carer’s Allowance, payment of Carer’s Allowance usually stops when you reach retirement age because your State Pension will be paid instead (unless your State Pension is less than the amount of Carer’s Allowance, in which case you could continue to be paid a small amount of Carer’s Allowance). This is because of the ‘overlapping benefits’ rules.

However, you may still be able to get some extra money in recognition of your caring role, because you can still have an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance.

It is therefore worth getting a benefit check if you are about to get your State Pension and want to know whether this ‘underlying entitlement’ will financially benefit you, or if you are already getting your State Pension and want to know whether it is worth claiming this ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293316 by Hughie
Replied by Hughie on topic Carer's Allowance
Thank you Gary. I appreciate your advice. Am I okay to come back with more detailed information, or would that take too much time, as I realize you are inundated with queries?
Regards:-Hughie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meryl

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293332 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Carer's Allowance
Hi Hughie

Post your information and if Gary can help he will

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #293385 by Hughie
Replied by Hughie on topic Carer's Allowance
Hi. I amnot too well at the moment. I will hopefully get back soon.
Regards:-Hughie

More
2 months 1 week ago #293396 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Carer's Allowance
Hi Hughie

I'm sorry to hear that you're not well. Hope things improve for you and we'll be here when you're ready.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.