× Members

Information about applying for attendance allowance

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293939 by mel0308
I wanted to share our recent experience of applying online for Attendance Allowance in case it will help others - it was so easy!

Each Monday morning the DWP allow a new batch of online applications for AA. There are only so many for each week, so we waited for the Monday and then applied. I can’t believe how easy and simple it was! The form was all tick boxes about what my husband needed help with eg dressing, bathing, difficulties with walking etc, during the day and at night. It was very different to the printed version - the whole form took a fraction of the time compared to the blue badge application we filled out online. There was nowhere to write explanations and it didn’t allow me to upload any of his medical evidence, so I was very worried and thought we would be unsuccessful or it would take weeks whilst they contacted doctors etc.
In less than two weeks we got a letter saying he has been awarded the higher rate and the first payment went into his bank account the same day! The letter says they used the information from the claim form to make the decision - no assessments, form-filling by GPs or anything like that. This was not a ‘special rules’ application so it wasn’t done under the fast-track either. I hope our experience might encourage others who are still deliberating to go ahead and apply. Thank you once again to BaW and everyone who posts on the forum too for all the advice, help and support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie, an ex nurse, housemouse93, LL26

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid