× Members

Attendance Allowance

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293944 by lorrainevb
Attendance Allowance was created by lorrainevb
Hi I asked for an AA form as my Dad’s health has deteriorated and I feel he would easily qualify high rate rather than the lower. When I asked for a form DWP told me unless he gets night care he wont qualify and may loose whole award, haven’t heard of a night care rule unless it is new and I worked 10 years in DWP myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293949 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Attendance Allowance
Hi lorrainevb,
There are 3 rates for Attendance Allowance- which is a benefit for people over state pension age who need care.
The first level- low rate is for those needing a small amount of care say 1 hour each day.
Middle rate care is for those that need care at various times throughout the day OR alternatively need care throughout the night.
However if you can show that care is needed several times throughout the day, and also during the night you can achieve the highest rate.
Care needs comprise help with bodily functions or activities very closely linked.
Hence help with seeing or hearing, reading, listening and explaining, speaking, dressing, washing, toilet needs, eating etc as well as watching over someone to ensure safety could amount to providing care, and if of sufficient duration will indicate that the cared for person is eligible for Attendance Allowance.
If your Dad only has limited care needs for just a short time all day then low rate care may be the correct level. If you feel that you (or another) are providing a lot of care during each day then you could ask DWP to revise their decision to middle rate. There is no requirement to show night time needs to achieve middle rate.
Night time is when the household normally goes to bed. If you have to get up to attend to eg toilet needs, or indeed any other bodily function repeatedly throughout the night, or eg you need to stay up all night to watch over them this will indicate that the night condition is met.
There is more information in the members guides.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.