× Members

PIP Review Extension to Sep 2024, but in meantime desperately need a Blue Badge

More
2 months 1 week ago #293987 by Malcolm
Submitted my partner's PIP review last October, which included explaining changes in mental health & physical heath circumstances, including needing a wheelchair for outdoor use since the year before, following multiple admissions (12 emergency admissions within 12 months), and numerous falls with head cuts, fractures etc. Just got a DWP PIP letter saying 'review delayed PIP entitlement extended until September 2025". May still want to have a formal assessment. although his long-standing physiatrist wrote explaining assessments very stressful: complex serious mental health issues (still in secondary care & last PIP assessment had a panic attack). We've been told can only get a Blue badge from our local council if has PIP increased mobility award. He has already been using a wheelchair for 2 years. Q (1) Do we have to wait until PIP Review is completed, to get DWP to accept a legitimate wheelchair use so we can get Blue Bage and be entitled to subsidised transport schemes (e.g taxi scheme etc?) Q (2). Assumng eventually he will have his PIP review, and the all the medical evidence supports an increase in mobility award, will the increase be backdated to Oct 2023 when I informed them of the changes in circumstances? Hope this makes sense,.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #294014 by Gary
Hi Malcolm

If you applied for a change in circumstances then your partners should be backdated to the date you requested a change in circumstances.

You do not need a PIP award to get a blue badge although it does help, what you do need is a good doctors supporting letter.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #294040 by Malcolm
Thanks, but can you please clarify: I need to explain I only told them about changes in circumstances when answering Q's in the PIP review. I meant to tell them sooner but never had the energy or the time or the medical supporting evidence as my partner was in and out of hospital 12 times in 12 months, and nearly died several times, it was all too much. The updated information sent to them for the PIP review runs to 22 A4 typed continuation pages + 9 medical supporting documents.

In other words, I didn't submit a separate Change in Circumstances before or since submitting the PIP Review application.

More
2 months 1 week ago #294068 by BIS
Hi Malcom

People often ask us about when payments will be backdated to. If someone puts in a change of circumstances - it gets backdated to the date they informed the DWP of the change.

It's slightly different for reviews because it depends on how long it takes for the review to take place. Then, a decision is made on whether there is to be any back payment. This can vary from case to case.

Regarding the blue badge, you can apply directly to your council for one, and several of our members have reported successfully doing that because they couldn't wait.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #294145 by Malcolm
Thank you for explaining, what the DWP & PIP should have done but never do.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid