× Members

UC50 - Hospital Admission in Last 12 months - What Effect Does This Have?

More
1 month 1 week ago #294385 by deannatrois
I am presently filling in a UC50. It asks if you were admitted to hospital for more than 28 days within last 12 months. I was admitted with breathing problems on 29th May - 12th July. Spent 20 days in ITU on a ventilator. I had a fungal lung infection and interstitual Lung Disease related to rheumatoid arthritis. Have a number of other conditions, the RA affects everything. I have had breathing problems causing nasty difficulties for 3 years, had CT scans but couldn't get respiratory to see me, no matter what I or my GP said. Then a year later I was ventilated in ITU not expected to survive, being considered for a long term tracheostomy (although this wasn't needed in the end thank goodness). Support from the respiratory team has been totally absent since discharge although I do have a discharge notice saying ILD was diagnosed.

1) wondering what effect the hospital admission has on my capability for work? I have been told by ITU it can take 18 months to recover. My brain has been affected (short term memory, mood - I had delusions due to the sedation), fatigue that I had before is worse, mobility is worse (I fall quite a bit, couldn't even walk more than a few steps at first, can do more now but not as much as I could do pre admission. But not sure how to explain all this as not sure how it will be used.

2) It has taken some time to get appts with Diabetes care, RA care, and respiratory follow up (a wonderful telephone appt only). So any letters for evidence won't arrive before UC50 needs to be returned. I gather I can send these separately when I get them. I can send old letters from RA. GP and NHS services are a bit broken so no idea when I will get up to date letters. So should have evidence for things that have really happened but may not get it in time before UC50 form is assessed. Can I do anything about this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #294407 by David
Hi deannatrois,

To answer your questions....

1) wondering what effect the hospital admission has on my capability for work? I have been told by ITU it can take 18 months to recover. My brain has been affected (short term memory, mood - I had delusions due to the sedation), fatigue that I had before is worse, mobility is worse (I fall quite a bit, couldn't even walk more than a few steps at first, can do more now but not as much as I could do pre admission. But not sure how to explain all this as not sure how it will be used.
The fact that you have been admitted to hospital does add gravity to a health condition. But it doesn't mean that the DWP will find you unfit for work. One of the reasons why DWP staff are able to overrule GPs and consultants who have stated "unfit for work " on a Fit Note, is that NHS clinicians do not understand the " world of work ", according to the DWP. For the DWP it is all about the descriptors on the form UC50 and whether they are met or not.
So the best thing you can do is read the BenefitsandWork guide on the subject ( link here ) and you may need to contact your local Benefits Advice Agency to get help with filling in the form.
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/?dlp=66decb1f44c71

2) It has taken some time to get appts with Diabetes care, RA care, and respiratory follow up (a wonderful telephone appt only). So any letters for evidence won't arrive before UC50 needs to be returned. I gather I can send these separately when I get them. I can send old letters from RA. GP and NHS services are a bit broken so no idea when I will get up to date letters. So should have evidence for things that have really happened but may not get it in time before UC50 form is assessed. Can I do anything about this?
All you can do is inform your NHS providers of the urgency of the situation and send in your evidence as soon as you receive it.

Hope this helps,
David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: deannatrois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.