× Members

State pension (me) and wife on ESA legacy benefit - entitlement question

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294429 by tonyhag
I am 66 on the 13th December and at the moment I get carers allowance and I have already applied and got my state pension entitlement letter plus another letter to says my carers allowance will end at the same time though It says i still have the carers entitlement as my wife is on high rate care and mobility DLA.

At the moment my wife gets £183.40 per week ESA support group and also we have a reduction in council tax due to her disability.

We rent from the local council and get full housing benefit.

My state pension will work out at £221.10 per week.

So what i am trying to find out is how much ESA will my wife lose as non of the benefit calculators don't seem useful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #294463 by David
Hi tonyhag,

On the 13 December your Benefits status will be what is known as a Mixed Age Couple ( MAC ).
Any calculations involving MACs are complicated and require a lot of detailed information.
This is the reason why some Benefits Calculators cannot complete an assessment and why I also would be unable to.
Have you tried using Entitledto.co.uk ?

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #294495 by tonyhag
Yes I have just used a calculation on Entitledto putting down I am 66 now and its calculated my wife's ESA will be £157.35.

It has in that carer premium but no Disabilty Income Guarentee which she gets at the moment.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #294496 by tonyhag
I have checked on entitledto inputting my age as 66 and the calculation it gives including carers premium and ESA pensioner premium but no disability income guarantee which she gets at the moment.

The calculation ESA(income-related)

Applicable amount £378.55
Less total assessed income £221.20
ESA(income-related) £157.35 which is what is says she will get along with rent paid and council tax reductions.

It does say also if she was on UC it would be £88.27 less.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #294498 by David
Hi tonyhag,

Well done for making the calculation which shows as is the case for many people in your situation that you would be worse off on UC.
As a pensioner you would get the ESA pensioner premium but not the disability income guarantee otherwise known as the Enhanced Disability Premium. You cannot get a Disability Premium if you or your partner receive the Pensioner Premium. The Pensioner Premium actually pays a lot more than the Enhanced Disability Premium. You can find the different rates for the ESA Pensioner Premium in the link here...
www.gov.uk/government/publications/benef...nd-support-allowance

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonyhag

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.