× Members

reporting a change of circumstances when there is an improvement to pip

More
1 month 2 days ago #294685 by Sylvie
My young person is neruodiverse and currently gets higher rate pip until 2028 and I am their appointee. They are going to uni this week and going to trial living in a shared flat, we have been helping to prepare over the last year and they want to give it a try. Realistically they will be home most weekends and possibly during the week, as they are going to our local uni. We have family supporting and able to pick up. They will be trying to manage cooking using the microwave and ordering some takeout and we have practised the short walk from the flat to the uni . I am reporting a change of address to universal credit. I think I also need to report a change of address to PIP and also an improvement as in a change of circumstances ? Given that they will be walking the short route unaccompanied and will be using a microwave. How should I report this, is it online? Also will the fact that they are living away mean they are now going to go from higher rate to nothing, or can they still receive a lower rate? some people have said just report a change of address, but then I am worried I would get into trouble for not reporting the change in what they are now doing.
Will the change of address with universal credit automatically cause a change to pip.
thanks I am finding it all so very overwehelming on top of them going and all the support they are needing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #294690 by BIS
Hi Sylvie

Congratulations on all the work you have been doing to support your young person in this change of environment.

Claimants of PIP are supposed to inform the DWP if their health has improved or worsened. In reality, the DWP is more interested in improvements because they may mean they have to pay out less money. This can sometimes be challenging for claimants - because some improvements are obvious - eg a broken leg - mends and a person has improved mobility, but some are less so - eg a person suffering anxiety has panic attacks less frequently than they did - but they continue to struggle daily.

Your young person is neurodiverse, so the question to ask yourself is, have their disabilities "Improved" so they no longer need the same level of support, or will they need a different type of support in the new environment? You are right to try and be as honest as you can, and we always say that. But, you must always remember that other people's understanding of the young person's needs is unlikely to match yours. So, if you already have concrete evidence of improvements - say so now; if you need to see how they manage in a new environment - just report a change of address. When you do report any changes, you can report a change of circumstances and be very careful in your reporting if the young person still has ongoing needs in some areas of their life as per the specific PIP criteria.

A member of my family is neurodiverse, and they have continued to receive their PIP even after review, and they work.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo

More
1 week 6 days ago #295351 by Sylvie
Thank you for your advice.
If they have some university accommodation, but are still home a lot too and post is coming here etc. do I need to report a change in address? They will be here a lot of the time too.

More
1 week 5 days ago #295402 by BIS
Hi Sylvie

Do you really want any letters going to the University where they could get lost? Personally, as the young person is going to be at home, frequently I wouldn't report a change of address - it just becomes too complicated.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #295431 by LL26
Hi Sylvie,
As per BIS don't be too hasty to report a change of circumstances.
For example you mention that the student will be doing microwave meals and needing to walk from the flat to campus.
Firstly, the test for cooking involves preparing and cooking a simple meal made from fresh ingredients. Being able to use a microwave still requires fresh ingredients, not using ready meals.
Likewise, being able to walk unaccompanied to uni, is one of many journeys that someone can make, or would want to make if disability didn't preclude this.
Pip descriptors require DWP to consider what happens on the majority of days. Thus, even if someone can only certain journeys, and NOT repeatedly across the day as many times/places as required, then points should be awarded.
Assuming the student achieves a successful ready meal cooked in the microwave and can now get to uni unaccompanied, but still can't get to other places alone without becoming lost, anxious, panicky etc then I don't think there is an actual improvement ie one that will reduce points.
Thinking about journeys, these are on foot or car/bus etc. All journeys will have a small element of steps on foot.
Think about a day's worth of possible (and all reasonable journeys someone could make throughout the day.)
Go to lecture room 1
Go to dining room
Go to lecture room 2 on other side of campus
Go to bank in town at lunch
Go to post office
Go to supermarket on way home
Go to bar in town
Go home

Question can he do all these kind of journeys across the whole day, for majority of days?
Can he do it to an acceptable standard, safely, and within a reasonable time as well as repeating?

Please think carefully about what you think maybe improved.
Repeatedly is part of the reliability criteria in Regulation 4(2A). (PIP Regs 2013)
Majority of days is Reg 7.
LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid