× Members

Move to UC from ESA/SDP

More
5 days 14 hours ago #295998 by Gracie89
Move to UC from ESA/SDP was created by Gracie89
Hi, I'm currently migrating from ESA/SDP to UC. I was advised that my ESA payments would stop 2 weeks after I started my UC claim (which would leave me a few weeks with no money between that and the UC payments starting). However I have received a letter from ESA to say my payments will stop on 29th November which is actually 2 weeks after my first UC payment, not 2 weeks after I claimed.

Can anyone clarify this please? Because if this letter is correct, it is not what I was advised or what comes up when you Google it and it would leave me much better off financially, so I don't want to get my hopes up if it isn't going to happen and need to plan what money I will have.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 5 hours ago #296006 by David
Replied by David on topic Move to UC from ESA/SDP
Hi Gracie89,

You want to avoid a recoverable overpayment so the best thing you can do is phone ESA and question if this is correct.
ESA Telephone: 0800 169 0310

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 days 3 hours ago #296009 by Gracie89
Replied by Gracie89 on topic Move to UC from ESA/SDP
OK thank you, I was kind of thinking of this but hoping I wouldn't need to! I will now though, thanks.

More
4 days 22 hours ago #296018 by David
Hi Gracie89,

If you don't mind it would be helpful for other members in the same situation if you could share the outcome of your phone call. Thanks,

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 days 23 hours ago #296110 by Gracie89
Replied by Gracie89 on topic Move to UC from ESA/SDP
Hello, happy to share and also would like advise again please as I'm very confused.

So after an hour of waiting on the phone they weren't much help! He just kept saying that the rate I had been getting (240 ish per week,480 per fortnight) would stop when I get my first UC payment.

So I questioned this as now that is a third thing I've been told because it isn't the two weeks after you claim that I have been told or what they have sent me on the letter. I explained I had put in the claim on 11th October so should recieve my last payment on 25th October which is two weeks after I claimed. But the letter they sent says it will stop at that full rate 29th November which is a whole 5 weeks extra (7 weeks after I claimed!). He just kept repeating it will stop when the UC payment starts (which is 15th November).

So I now have three bits of conflicting information. He then went on to add I will then receive a lower rate contribution ESA alongside UC of 138 per week, first I'd heard of this and I only thought I was on income related.

I had my ESA today as its the 25th, so I called to check when/if I have a nect payment of ESA and the automated thing said I have the next full amount one in 2 weeks, so if seems it is continuing until at least the 8th November.

I'm so confused, and the ESA was not helpful and a little rude as well. I went back to citizens advise about this and they confirmed it should definitely stop two weeks after you claim to their knowledge, so it should have been the last one today and I would probably have to pay back anything further.

I told the ESA man I needed clarity as I was worried about over payment and having fo pay back it's stressful not knowng what I have coming in ect, and he said no we won't over pay. But they do don't they!

Any thoughts? Thanks 🙏

More
2 days 21 hours ago #296114 by David
Hi Gracie89,

Your experiences of confusion will resonate with a lot of members.
This whole Migration process is being rushed through because of cost cutting by the previous Tory government. ESA migration had not been planned originally until 2028. The new Labour government has inherited the situation mid stream. The following is from a CPAG report ......"The DWP has described its approach to the roll out of UC, including managed migration, as a ‘test and learn’ approach, whereby ongoing testing is carried out to identify problems as they arise so they can be fixed quickly and before larger numbers are affected."
So what they are saying is that they are learning from the mistakes being made with yourself so that the they can be more efficient in the future.

David

The following user(s) said Thank You: libra1, VIA

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid