× Members

UC savings

More
17 hours 37 minutes ago #315790 by Ambernemo
UC savings was created by Ambernemo
I am disabled and in receipt of higher level PIP also UC with LCWRA just before retirement as I was hospitalised. Wife receives carers allowance.
DWP have asked for bank statements. I have only just realised I am over the threshold of 16000. I have outstanding tax liabilities that go back several years. The money owed for this is in my bank account. HMRC haven't contacted me for months so I haven't been able to pay them. If these liabilities that I have to pay were taken into account I would have been below the threshold. We were not aware of savings threshold and I believed that PIP money would not be included. Have been in and out of hospital for last few years and awaiting further surgery.
What is likely to happen? Anything I can do apart from contacting DWP?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 hour 55 minutes ago #315793 by David
Replied by David on topic UC savings
Hi Ambernemo

Unfortunately liabilities and debts are not deducted from total capital you have available for Benefit purposes.
I would advise that you send a UC journal message with recipient A Payment which will route it to the UC Case Manager. You could ask for a meeting with a DWP Compliance officer in your local Jobcentre. This would give you the opportunity to explain your mitigating circumstances.

Let us know how you get on
David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ambernemo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: latetrain, BIS, Catherine12345, Chris, David, Forum Moderator