- Posts: 1
- Forum
- Members forums
- ESA, PIP, UC and DLA Queries and Results
- AR2 Light Touch Review Form: successful experience
× Members
AR2 Light Touch Review Form: successful experience
- sleepy
- Topic Author
- Offline
Less More
3 hours 43 minutes ago #315854 by sleepy
AR2 Light Touch Review Form: successful experience was created by sleepy
I received an AR2 Light Touch Review form earlier this year.
I’m past retirement age and have been receiving the enhanced rate for both mobility and care since 2015. My award was originally for 5 years but was extended in 2019 for “an ongoing period”.
The form was very similar to the example on the Benefits and Work website, with a slightly different layout. Essentially, it asked if there had been any changes in my health and disability, my daily living needs and my mobility, allowing a little space to describe any changes.
As I’m already receiving the highest rates it was tempting to just say “no change”. I didn’t want to trigger a full review because of the work and stress involved. It was hard enough to get the award in 2015, and I didn’t want to go through that experience again. However, the letter that came with the AR2 form stated, “If you tell us your needs have not changed, we may still refer you for an assessment with a Health Professional”.
In fact, my condition has worsened and my needs increased since being assessed in 2015. I checked the points awarded then and decided to look again at the various “descriptors” (the questions asked in the PIP assessment).
The Benefits and Work online PIP training was helpful to understand my entitlement within the descriptors. It was also useful to see examples that describe complex problems without using a lot of words.
Even though I’m already receiving the maximum rates I decided it was better to explain how my needs in several of the descriptors have increased, rather than to state, “no change”. I’ve no idea whether this was the best decision, or whether it would be the right one for others in similar circumstances, but it worked for me.
I gave a brief description of my overall problems, and stated how long I’ve had them and that they have continued to worsen over the years. I wrote short statements about the specific things that have got worse, using the descriptors (e.g. “moving around”), and sent back the form.
It took two or three weeks to receive a response confirming that I have advised the DWP that my circumstances have changed and that I am still entitled to to receive PIP at the previous rates. The points awarded for the various descriptors remain the same as those awarded in 2015, despite me describing increased needs. I presume that only a “Health Professional” can change those, which would involve a fuller review, and that would benefit neither the DWP nor me, but at least I’ve recorded how my disabilities have increased.
I’m past retirement age and have been receiving the enhanced rate for both mobility and care since 2015. My award was originally for 5 years but was extended in 2019 for “an ongoing period”.
The form was very similar to the example on the Benefits and Work website, with a slightly different layout. Essentially, it asked if there had been any changes in my health and disability, my daily living needs and my mobility, allowing a little space to describe any changes.
As I’m already receiving the highest rates it was tempting to just say “no change”. I didn’t want to trigger a full review because of the work and stress involved. It was hard enough to get the award in 2015, and I didn’t want to go through that experience again. However, the letter that came with the AR2 form stated, “If you tell us your needs have not changed, we may still refer you for an assessment with a Health Professional”.
In fact, my condition has worsened and my needs increased since being assessed in 2015. I checked the points awarded then and decided to look again at the various “descriptors” (the questions asked in the PIP assessment).
The Benefits and Work online PIP training was helpful to understand my entitlement within the descriptors. It was also useful to see examples that describe complex problems without using a lot of words.
Even though I’m already receiving the maximum rates I decided it was better to explain how my needs in several of the descriptors have increased, rather than to state, “no change”. I’ve no idea whether this was the best decision, or whether it would be the right one for others in similar circumstances, but it worked for me.
I gave a brief description of my overall problems, and stated how long I’ve had them and that they have continued to worsen over the years. I wrote short statements about the specific things that have got worse, using the descriptors (e.g. “moving around”), and sent back the form.
It took two or three weeks to receive a response confirming that I have advised the DWP that my circumstances have changed and that I am still entitled to to receive PIP at the previous rates. The points awarded for the various descriptors remain the same as those awarded in 2015, despite me describing increased needs. I presume that only a “Health Professional” can change those, which would involve a fuller review, and that would benefit neither the DWP nor me, but at least I’ve recorded how my disabilities have increased.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- David
- Away
Less More
- Posts: 4201
1 hour 59 minutes ago #315857 by David
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Replied by David on topic AR2 Light Touch Review Form: successful experience
Hi sleepy
Thanks for sharing your experience and I definitely think you took the correct approach.
I have taken the advice of those with a lot of experience of PIP reviews that it is preferable to treat a PIP review as a new claim as far as explanation and evidence is concerned. This is because you may be landed with a sceptical PIP assessor who could in her/his opinion state you don't qualify due to lack of evidence etc.
David
Thanks for sharing your experience and I definitely think you took the correct approach.
I have taken the advice of those with a lot of experience of PIP reviews that it is preferable to treat a PIP review as a new claim as far as explanation and evidence is concerned. This is because you may be landed with a sceptical PIP assessor who could in her/his opinion state you don't qualify due to lack of evidence etc.
David
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: latetrain, BIS, Catherine12345, Chris, David, Forum Moderator