× Members

When exactly do ATOS/DWP contact your GP?

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #62808 by bro58
Derek4 wrote:

bro58 wrote:

He does not have to disclose the content of any ESA113 or Report, to the patient,(some G.P.'s will) however you can ask that they inform you if they have had such a request for information from DWP/ATOS.

Hi Bro58

I may be wrong but I thought that all GP surgeries allow patients to look at and copy their records, sometimes for a fee. Or is it just mine?

Derek

They do indeed Derek, and as I have said I aquired mine, however, I was surprised that going back some time (10 years) there was no mention on my files of any form of DWP review.

However, I also have copy of my DWP files going back 11 years, and there is mention of Reviews even though I am PCA exempt, and have never had to fill in any type of form mysef.

I think I have read somewhere that G.P.'s, don't have to put such reviews on a patients file, but would stand corrected if any one can inform to the contrary.

Otherwise, why is it mentioned on my DWP files, but not my medical records.

Maybe, someone can provide an answer?

cheers

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #62810 by mumsgirl
Replied by mumsgirl on topic Re:When exactly do ATOS/DWP contact your GP?
Thanks NONMOD, you are the 1st person to say what i've always suspected (that my doc wasn't supportive enough). (Although she's always said that she does support me). I've always felt that way but no one ever said it so I thought that maybe I was asking too much. Can I ask you how you felt about moving GPs thrice? I would like to but I am scared in case it's a case of better the devil you know or the grass isn't greener. I've been with her for 17 years and she's had me on unsuitable antidepressants all this time and just 'left' me. She used to say things like you shouldn't take pills because you don't feel anything but instead you should just turn bad thoughts into good thoughts, go for a walk and eat porridge. I told I couldn't go out and she said "well get you're support worker to take you out more" I don't think she really understood mental health and I felt like a nuisance. I tried these things but they don't help. 'Luckily' for me I had to see her partner because she was on holiday and her partner spotted right away how serious my problem was and referred me to a psychiatrist and got me a support worker. Unfortunately, her partner only works part time and I think may be heading for retirement (I reckon she's late 50s-early 60s). I should add that I went to my GP for 4 years with a lump on my neck and she said it was 'probably' a swollen gland. Then on my last visit about the lump I was quite vocal, assertive and she said "ok, i'll refer you to hospital then hopefully that will reassure you there's nothing wrong" (I think she was pissed off with me annoying her all the time so she did that to shut me up)Turned out I had cancer and could have died if left any longer! She refused to apologise saying that I didn't fit the 'criteria' for cancer and that's why she didn't refer me earlier and she'd do the same again. Also, why did you change THRICE and not just ONCE. You don't happen to know which letters to look for after a GPs name that say they have qualifications in Mental problems do you? Any advice would be very mcuh appreciated.

More
12 years 9 months ago #62811 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:When exactly do ATOS/DWP contact your GP?
Under the Access to Medical Reports Acts of 1988 and 1990, patients are allowed to inspect and obtain copies of their records sometimes for a fee, which is usually discretionary depending on the NHS organisation from whom the information is requested.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 9 months ago #62814 by mumsgirl
Replied by mumsgirl on topic Re:When exactly do ATOS/DWP contact your GP?
Thanks guys re the comments about the medical records. Do you think I could get a copy of ALL my records (and there will be many volumes!). I read the max charge is £50 - is that right? I asked my GP for a copy a few weeks before I completed my ESA50 and she said there was no point because they are only interested in NOW. But now i'm having suspicions on what she really thinks of me (or maybe it's just a symptom of my illness, paranoia!)

More
12 years 9 months ago #62817 by Towser
You will find that medical reports from your GP are a statement of fact. If you have not recently consulted your GP any time lapse could show how your disability is affecting you.

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #62819 by bro58
mumsgirl wrote:

Thanks NONMOD, you are the 1st person to say what i've always suspected (that my doc wasn't supportive enough). (Although she's always said that she does support me). I've always felt that way but no one ever said it so I thought that maybe I was asking too much. Can I ask you how you felt about moving GPs thrice? I would like to but I am scared in case it's a case of better the devil you know or the grass isn't greener. I've been with her for 17 years and she's had me on unsuitable antidepressants all this time and just 'left' me. She used to say things like you shouldn't take pills because you don't feel anything but instead you should just turn bad thoughts into good thoughts, go for a walk and eat porridge. I told I couldn't go out and she said "well get you're support worker to take you out more" I don't think she really understood mental health and I felt like a nuisance. I tried these things but they don't help. 'Luckily' for me I had to see her partner because she was on holiday and her partner spotted right away how serious my problem was and referred me to a psychiatrist and got me a support worker. Unfortunately, her partner only works part time and I think may be heading for retirement (I reckon she's late 50s-early 60s). I should add that I went to my GP for 4 years with a lump on my neck and she said it was 'probably' a swollen gland. Then on my last visit about the lump I was quite vocal, assertive and she said "ok, i'll refer you to hospital then hopefully that will reassure you there's nothing wrong" (I think she was pissed off with me annoying her all the time so she did that to shut me up)Turned out I had cancer and could have died if left any longer! She refused to apologise saying that I didn't fit the 'criteria' for cancer and that's why she didn't refer me earlier and she'd do the same again. Also, why did you change THRICE and not just ONCE. You don't happen to know which letters to look for after a GPs name that say they have qualifications in Mental problems do you? Any advice would be very mcuh appreciated.

MG,

When I worked, I had to live in many different parts of the country, due to my job.

Due to this and other reasons I have been registered at 18 different practices since birth, under different health authorities/PCT's.

I must say not only is there a vast difference in policy, there is also a vast difference in the quality of the G.P.'s themselves.

My most recent changes were because I had moved back to my area of origin, after my "travels", and was appalled at how poor the first practice I registered at was. I tried all the different G.P.'s in my practice, had a meet with the manager, still no resolution. I got the usual "Most of our patients are very happy with our service" , I hit back by stating that was probably because most of the patients had been with them since birth, and therefore had nothing to compare with.

I think I said something along the lines, "That's just like a shopper who has shopped at a no frills supermarket all there life, therefore not being aware how great the products where at a certain well known upmarket store, until one day they try it and are enlightened"

That didn't go down well at all!!

I then registered at another practice, and on the first appointment walked out of the DR's room, went to the reception and told them to cancel my registration.

Then registered where I am now, it seemed o.k. not fantastic, I saw all 4 G.P.'s in quick sucession, and decided to stay, only one seemed a bit "cold".

I can understand your worry about changing, especially if one is having or awaiting dealings with DWP/ATOS.

I think we must all accept that some G.P.'s will have a political agenda,just as people from all walks of life do.

You have to weigh up, whether it is better to stay with a G.P. with whome you are not happy, and is unsupportive, (which by the way could be fatal to an ESA DLA claim etc).

Or bite the bullet and move, it's not that difficult to do.

Have you tried all the G.P.'s in your practice, as there can be a great deal of difference between their attitudes.

Just don't make a big deal of it, and don't "slag one off " to the other.

As always, "the decision is yours".

good luck

NONMOD

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.