× Members

SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS

More
12 years 8 months ago #64967 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
Entry into the support group for claimants suffering from mental health problems/mental illness related to an anxiety disorder, can be accessed via activity descriptors 14,15 and 16 which read:-

Activity 14: Coping with change. (3.6.5 - Page 104)

Activity 15: Getting about. (3.6.6 - Page 104)

Activity 16: Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder. (3.6.7 - Page 107)

Activity 13: Initiating and completing personal action (which means planning, organisation, problem solving, prioritising or switching tasks). (3.6.4 - Page 102) in my view could also apply to a claimant with an anxiety disorder.

The references relate to the appropriate paragraphs/pages in the WCA handbook.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #65003 by lochlisa
Replied by lochlisa on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
I easily qualify for Activity 15 as my DLA mobility was awarded based on needing guiding and supervising when outside but the good old DWP ignored it and put me in WRAG.

My GP has also said, more than once, that I am totally unable to leave the house without help at all times, regardless of where I may be going.

It is going to appeal at the moment so fingers crossed they see sense at a reconsideration first?

Lisa

More
12 years 8 months ago #65004 by xXMessedUpXx
Replied by xXMessedUpXx on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
Both times i have been put in the support group, i believe this is because if i had been found fit for work it would have been a danger to my health (i have bipolar and am suicidal a lot).

Got another assessment next month and dreading it

• Catherine
12 years 8 months ago #65011 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
I think it is very important that claimants talk to their GP/psyciatrists/support workers etc about the ESA criteria that are relevant to them, because i think it is very likely that despite having an understanding of the effect your illness has on your ability to function - they may not know much about ESA.

The old IB 'severe mental illness' exemption no longer exists, so i think it is vital that you make people aware of where you feel you meet the ESA support group criteria if that is where you are hoping to be placed.

I have no idea what guidelines have been sent out to GPs etc regarding old ESA/new ESA?

Thank you mods for pointing out the various suport group criteria in this thread - Crazydiamond it was really helpful to give page references in the guides.

The ESA assessment is so differnt from IB - i am just beginning to get my head round it.

More
12 years 8 months ago #65022 by lochlisa
Replied by lochlisa on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
what hope do we have?

Spoke to DWP about my appeal for the Support Group and was told, and I quote "you would really need to be dying to get into the Support Group'.

I am gobsmacked at the incompetence of these people !

Lisa

• nada678
12 years 8 months ago #65024 by nada678
Replied by nada678 on topic Re:SUPPORT GROUP FOR MENTAL ILLNESS
Hi Clio

I was put in the Wrag group for mental health problems similar to yours. I was transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA without a medical, but I was hoping to get into the support group, as I defiitely don't feel able to work.

I am going to get a mental health advocate to go with me when I have to attend a work focused interview, to help me explain how I don't cope with life.

I am thinking of getting a referral to my local CMHT again, because at the moment I only see my GP, but there is less and less on offer for people with long-term mental health problems.

I can't face appealing, as I don't think it will change anything, and there is the risk of losing ESA completely.

All the best, and try to take it one day at a time.

Nada678

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.