DLA over 65.

• Galvin
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104433 by Galvin
DLA over 65. was created by Galvin
I am writing this on behalf of my husband who is already on DLA:
Lower Rate Care.
Higher Rate mobility.

We are considering applying for the middle or higher care allowance due to a change in the care he now needs after another stroke third one he has had.

The doctor has filled in the section on the form but amazed that he has only put mild impairment.
Occupational Therapist has assessed my husband as needing a stair lift plus walk in shower for his disability.
My question where does that leave is when filling in the DLA form, who are they going to believe ??

Also we were just going to fill in the care section, and leave the mobility section alone, any advice must welcome.

Thanks Galvin
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104470 by
Replied by on topic DLA over 65.

Galvin wrote: I am writing this on behalf of my husband who is already on DLA:
Lower Rate Care.
Higher Rate mobility.

We are considering applying for the middle or higher care allowance due to a change in the care he now needs after another stroke third one he has had.

The doctor has filled in the section on the form but amazed that he has only put mild impairment.
Occupational Therapist has assessed my husband as needing a stair lift plus walk in shower for his disability.
My question where does that leave is when filling in the DLA form, who are they going to believe ??

Also we were just going to fill in the care section, and leave the mobility section alone, any advice must welcome.

Thanks Galvin

Hi G,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

This is why we advise that any supporting evidence provided by one's G.P. should always be provided after the patient has discussed it with the G.P., where at all possible.

You could discuss this "Mild" comment with your G.P., and if you can obtain a copy of The OT report, you could include that, if it was supportive.

You do not have to include evidence that you feel does not support your claim.

There is always a risk to an existing DLA award when requesting a review, in that The DWP can look at both components of the award. (Mobility & Care)

You can leave the Mobility section blank, and write "No Change" please review Care Needs Only, but as I have said, they can still choose to review both.

There is a guide on requesting a review due to a deterioration in one's condition about half way down this page :

DLA Guides

Under the heading "Changes Of Circumstances For People Claiming Disability Living Allowance"

You should also refer to the DLA Claims guides near the top of the page.

You may also find these documents helpful :

DM Guide AA & DLA :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch61.pdf

DR UK DLA & AA :

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f23.htm

You should be aware that the DWP may send a GPFR to your GP to complete in connection with your review request. Therefore, it may be best to discuss the "Mild" comment with your G.P. in case they do.

DLA : G.P. reports :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dla-aa-1pp-factual.pdf

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dla-aa-6pp-factual.pdf

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/medical-reports-completion.pdf
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104496 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic DLA over 65.

Galvin wrote: I am writing this on behalf of my husband who is already on DLA:
Lower Rate Care.
Higher Rate mobility.

Thanks Galvin

The subject of your thread is DLA over 65, which is somewhat misleading.

If at the 8 April 2013, your husband was over 65 years old and in receipt of DLA, then he will continue to receive DLA for the foreseeable future, so long as he satisfies the criteria for DLA. If his condition in terms of care, he can always ask for his care needs to be looked at again. But please be aware that as DLA is one benefit, the DWP can also look at his mobility needs also.

If he was under 65 years old on 8 April 2013, then at some time in the future which could be as early as 2015, or as late as 2017, then his DLA will cease and he'll have to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Hope this helps.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added information for clarification.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.