× Members

Council Tax Bill from 03/04 & Benefit Entitlement!

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104585 by francis1969
Hi to everybody and will be as brief as I can:

Recently received council tax bills from over 10 years ago from council for the following dates and amounts:

1/4/2003 - 31/3/2004 in the sum of £120.77
1/4/2004 - 12/9/2004 in the sum of £113.79

I emailed council tax office concerned and informed them that throughout these dates I was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, DLA (low rate care) and Income Support (which should have exempted me).

They replied confirming that I was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit and DLA (low rate care) but made no mention of Income Support and are still demanding these monies.

My question is that would a single person in social housing back in 2003/2004, receiving Incapacity Benefit (which I would have been receiving for over 2 years at that time) and low rate care DLA be entitled to Income Support? If this is the case then I would hope that this may put the matter to bed as it were.

I have not got the 1st inklling of where I would be able to find proof that I was in receipt of Income Support going back over a decade.

A 2nd string to this situation is that the council office concerned have only supplied me with copy bills and an income/expenditure form which they ask to be completed with 14 days or else the matter will be handed to their bailiffs! I am in the midst of trying to find out if council tax bills over 6 years are statute barred and if any liability order was made against me but have not yet finished this line of my enquiry as it seems to be a minefield, so if anybody can assist on this point, that also would be greatly appreciated.

As always, many thanks,

from very, very stressed :-(
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #104592 by Gordon
francis1969

I am afraid we do not provide advice for Income Support or Housing Benefit, so we are not in a position to provide you with any real assistance in regard to your problem.

Whether you were in receipt of Income Support in addition to your IB would have been dependant on your personal circumstances, I would have thought it unlikely that a single person would have qualified due to the amount of their IB payments, but I cannot state this for definite.

Do you have any of your old payment letters from the DWP as these should break down you payments into the individual elements?

Even if the demands are Statute Barred, this may not stop the Local Authority recovering the monies through your current benefit payments, you really need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor. see

Where to get advice?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.