× Members

What happens if I don’t attend ESA medical?

More
10 years 10 months ago #105551 by Gordon

Spectralis wrote: Thanks for all your replies. I really feel uncertain what to do next but I thought that part time work might be a way back into full time work and if I do any work then I assume I'll not be able to claim ESA anyway. I have thought about discussing this with a benefits advisor but because it seems like the DWP wants to get rid of us all I don't really trust them to give me the best advice.

Is there a way to try part time work without losing my benefits or NI Contribution? Or how can I stop claiming IB and keep my NI Contributions? If I go to the medical and fail it will it be better than not going at all?

The work you are looking at may be considered as Permitted Work.

Permitted Work

But only if you are successfully transferred to ESA.

Just to be clear about your NI Contributions, your history remains in regard to the State Pension, but will not be usable should you try and claim another Contribution Based benefit such as ESA(CB).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #105573 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Replied by rayisfun@hotmail.com on topic What happens if I don’t attend ESA medical?
I don't think the part-time work falls under the 'Permitted Work' remit unfortunately. The reason I don't think a home visit would be appropriate atm is because I'm not undergoing a severe relapse but feeling that I might be able to cope with part-time work. The offer of work from a friend and the forthcoming medical has really made me consider what's best for the future. But it seems like a catch 22 situation where there is no support helping disabled people transition from benefits into work.

Concerning the pension contributions issue, I just wanted to clarify that those made to date will remain if my claim ends? I assume I won't be sent a bill demanding back pension contributions? I also receive DLA, I assume that this will be stopped as well? If I do take up this work I'm not sure whether it's better to contact the benefits service to tell them I won't attend the medical or just not turn up and end my claim that way.

I know it's a big risk to do this but if I don't try part-time work now I'll never know if I can cope with it. It's terrible that there isn't anything in place to facilitate this transition but that's the situation I'm faced with. If I can't cope with work then I'll just have to deal with that at the time. I just don't see any other alternative.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 10 months ago #105579 by Gordon

Spectralis wrote: I don't think the part-time work falls under the 'Permitted Work' remit unfortunately. The reason I don't think a home visit would be appropriate atm is because I'm not undergoing a severe relapse but feeling that I might be able to cope with part-time work. The offer of work from a friend and the forthcoming medical has really made me consider what's best for the future. But it seems like a catch 22 situation where there is no support helping disabled people transition from benefits into work.

Concerning the pension contributions issue, I just wanted to clarify that those made to date will remain if my claim ends? I assume I won't be sent a bill demanding back pension contributions? I also receive DLA, I assume that this will be stopped as well? If I do take up this work I'm not sure whether it's better to contact the benefits service to tell them I won't attend the medical or just not turn up and end my claim that way.

I know it's a big risk to do this but if I don't try part-time work now I'll never know if I can cope with it. It's terrible that there isn't anything in place to facilitate this transition but that's the situation I'm faced with. If I can't cope with work then I'll just have to deal with that at the time. I just don't see any other alternative.

Permitted Work covers exactly that, part time working, but that does not mean that it will be relevant to you.

Yes, your NI Contributions in connection with the State Pension are protected.

There should be no reason why your DLA should be stopped if you do not go ahead with the transfer, but if this is your intention I would recommend that you close your IB claim rather than let it default to a fail.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.