× Members

Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf

• RS
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #143216 by RS
Hi all,

I'm new to these boards and will probably be asking quite a few questions.

I'm about to go through the wonderfull PIP form. I can't walk either with or without a walking stick. I use a wheelchair when out and about and my car has adaptations so I don't need to use my legs, though I can get from my car to my front door (6 feet distance) by holding my grab rails which were put in years ago by social services.

Around the house I place furniture such as my couch, chairs, tables etc, in positions so I can grab a hold of them when moving from room to room. I do frequently fall.

I'm just worried if they ask me how I manage at home with a wheelchair, my house is too small and doorways too narrow for my chair and I do like to get up and try to move around.

Can anyone see this as an issue?

Thanks
Rick
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143227 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf
If you specify distances you may be OK. The first thing is being able to walk more than 20 metres, aided or unaided, bearing in mind the reliably test.

The test is being able to do something safely, repeatedly in a timely manner and to a necessary and appropriate standard. The fact you fall would seem to indicate it isn't safe or appropriate.and you may not be able to do it repeatedly.

So if you fill in the form with supporting evidence to all the above then it probably shouldn't be an issue.

However you are dealing with the DWP so anything can happen :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #143229 by Chrissiefeeny
Replied by Chrissiefeeny on topic Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf
Rs........ I don't see that you need to worry about getting around your house without your wheelchair.You are not paralysed,thankfully,so, even if you can't walk a distance of twenty metres, remembering " without stopping" for any reason,it is reasonable to assume, you can get about your home,slowly and taking rests every few yards. This should not affect your claim in any way.\if you use a walking stick or crutch for balance, it is perfectly feasible that you always need assistance of some sort.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143245 by Mags
Replied by Mags on topic Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf
I use a wheelchair outside but surf the house, my doctor wrote a letter stating I could not walk more than 20 metres and that I use a stick and furniture around the house. At my assessment the nurse never asked about walking as she said my doctor had clarified that and didn't ask me to get out if my wheelchair and that if I was more comfortable in it to stay in the wheelchair.

• RS
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #143621 by RS
Replied by RS on topic Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf
Thanks to everyone who responded. Sorry for coming back to the post late, I couldn't find it.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143631 by hicky1
Replied by hicky1 on topic Wheelchair Use But Furnature Surf
my daughter has CP she can move around the house without a wheelchair but outside she uses a wheelchair or links arms for support or she would fall, get tired etc. her neurologist said if you cannot do something consistently, repeatedly in a safe manner then you can't do it. when she had her pip assessment moving from DLA to PIP the assessor was great and said that it is important to think about your worst day.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.