× Members

Attending DLA Tribunal

More
8 years 6 months ago #143374 by Sasha
Attending DLA Tribunal was created by Sasha
Hi, Very new to the Forum, so apologies if this should be posted elsewhere. I am my son's appointee. He has severe learning disabilities, autism, challenging behaviour and epilepsy. I am going to have to go to Tribunal re a recent decision on his DLA award. I read in your guides that you advise turning up in person to the tribunal, but I know I can't put our son through this, as he would be unable to communicate and would become distressed and challenging. My question is, will I be allowed to go on his behalf but without him being present? Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143388 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Attending DLA Tribunal

Sasha wrote: Hi, Very new to the Forum, so apologies if this should be posted elsewhere. I am my son's appointee. He has severe learning disabilities, autism, challenging behaviour and epilepsy. I am going to have to go to Tribunal re a recent decision on his DLA award. I read in your guides that you advise turning up in person to the tribunal, but I know I can't put our son through this, as he would be unable to communicate and would become distressed and challenging. My question is, will I be allowed to go on his behalf but without him being present? Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

You need to request that the court allows this, explain, as you have in your post, why he would be seriously effected by having to attend and would not be able to answer their questions. Ideally the panel like to see the claimant but as you are his appointee it should be acceptable in this case for him not to attend.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasha

More
8 years 6 months ago #143393 by Sasha
Replied by Sasha on topic Attending DLA Tribunal
Many thanks Gordon - that's really helpful. Would I do this when I submit the appeal form, or when we receive notification of the Hearing date?

More
8 years 6 months ago #143395 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Attending DLA Tribunal

Sasha wrote: Many thanks Gordon - that's really helpful. Would I do this when I submit the appeal form, or when we receive notification of the Hearing date?

I would wait until you have a date, as it is the Judge who needs to allow it and they won't be allocated before this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143397 by Sasha
Thank you - that's very helpful Gordon. Kind regards, Sasha

More
8 years 2 months ago #151918 by Sasha
A big thank you for all the advice and work on this site. I am absolutely certain that your guides and support helped us to a successful Tribunal on our son's behalf. Very much appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris