× Members

New PIP and ESA

More
8 years 5 months ago #143544 by Nelone1
New PIP and ESA was created by Nelone1
Hi, this is all very overwhelming and I have not found anyone with my conditions on the web to help with my claim. I think I've found the right place with you guys and hoping you can help.

I'll go through my disabilitys and try not to tell you my whole life story,

In 2012 I started suffering from severe sciatic nerve pain, I was in agony for months the only thing in the end that helped was oxycodene. It did finally subside and I carried on working as a carpenter for the last few years. Apart from my toes being numb and sever cramps from time to time, last year I started to struggle mentally with day to day activities and was put on antidepressants which helped for a while but I wasn't right. My partner had told me when I sleep I was holding my breath for a long time then snoring loudly. Turns out I have sleep apnea, severe OSA having 49 episodes every hour, plus holding my breath for two minutes at a time. I now sleep on a cpap machine rather unsuccessful for the past 3 months. I still wake 5 times an hour and often fall asleep and need reminding to put my mask on. I have not done a full weeks work since xmas as I've been a shell of my former self, I tried to go back to work a few times but my back started to ache badly after a days work I tried many different pills from the docs to get myself working but I couldn't. Finally I was sent for an MRI and I've been told I have degenerative disc disease, there is no operation that can help me I've 3 disc virtually gone and a fourth on the way. I'm 36 and a farther of three a good carpenter that has paid me well but I'm no longer able to do my job, I can't sit in one position or walk even small distances or even walk my dog without pain. Throw into the mix leg cramps and not sleeping I'm a mess.

If anyone could guide me on getting a successful pip and esa award as I'm worried about my assessments coming up. They sound like a nightmare,

Sorry for waffling

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago #143551 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic New PIP and ESA
Hi Dan

On this website you will find detailed guides for filling in the claim forms for DLA and PIP.

We are also here to help on the forum with any problems you have using the guides and claiming your benefits. If it will help you can work through a specimen form for PIP and prepare your evidence. In any case you should probably think about who you will get reports from at the appropriate time like your GP, consultant, any therapists you see and carers who help you.
You could also request a look at your medical records and see if there are any documents you want to get a copy of like diagnoses, treatments etc. Just about all surgeries charge for this but you have the right to see and request copies.

Other than that it is just a case of waiting. I know its hard. I have been sat waiting the entire time ESA and PIP have been rolled out, reading the horror stories, watching the government dismantle a perfectly good system for ideological reasons and to save money whilst demonising us in the press at every opportunity. One day the forms and/or phonecalls will come and I'll use all the excellent resources on this website to get the best possible outcome I can.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143555 by Nelone1
Replied by Nelone1 on topic New PIP and ESA
Thanks for getting back to me,

I have already put in motion my claims I have a pip assessment next Friday, then the following Friday an ESA assessment.

I have the MRI report I'm waiting for the actual MRI scan that's coming on request but on DVD form as evidence of DDD. I have the sleep clinics letter to my doctors confirming I have severe OSA and explaining I'm now on a CPAP machine. Is this a bit flimsy as what I've read you have to be better than O J Simpsons lawyer to stand a chance.

I've a doctors appointment before my first assessment, they are very helpful and I will request my medical reports. Any idea how long this takes, think I may have left this too late.

I did explain in my claims how I need help in the night with remembering to put on my mask multiple times, I struggle to dress/undress myself, socks and shoes etc. Standing and cooking is painful and walking even short distances is not good. My question is how do you provide evidence for this. Does it have to be written confirmation from a doctor, or am I going to like a performing seal for the accessor ?

This seems to be a good place, one I wish I found earlier

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.