× Members

PIP assessment cancelled

More
8 years 5 months ago #144354 by ELEANOR
PIP assessment cancelled was created by ELEANOR
My daughter, who is 21, was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in August this year. I helped her to make a claim for PIP. We live in Cardiff and she studies in Oxford so, when an appointment was sent, I asked if it could be changed to a more suitable date and that date was today. She can't travel alone on public transport if it involves changing trains as is the case with the journey from Oxford to Cardiff and there is no direct bus so my husband drove there on Saturday to bring her back. She was already very stressed when he took her to her 10.40 appointment this morning so my husband was furious to be told that the assessment was cancelled as the assessor was unwell. He asked if someone else could do it and was told the system was down and files could not be transferred. No-one phoned to tell her the assessment had been cancelled although they must have known before she left the house at 10am.
My husband is going to write a letter of complaint and will ask if she can be assessed on her form and 27 pieces of medical evidence we supplied rather than have to attend again, as this would cause her undue stress. I will also write to her psychiatrist for a letter of support.
Will it be to her disadvantage if she doesn't attend an assessment, given that she presented herself for an assessment this morning and this was not carried out due to Capita's ineptitude?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144355 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment cancelled
irisheyes

It will be difficult to convince Capita that they should now do a paper assessment on your daughter's claim, given that they have previously decided that one was required on the evidence submitted, especially as your daughter has now shown her capability to attend.

I would certainly make a complaint, but this is unlikely to be resolved in time before a new appointment is arranged.

You can try involving your MP, but you need to be aware that there is a risk that a new appointment is arranged in Oxford.

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

More
8 years 5 months ago #144416 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic PIP assessment cancelled
I phoned Capita this morning ad made a new appointment for the last day of the last week of the semester but when I told my husband, he said our daughter might want to stay in Oxford a week later to have fun with her friends. It was the latest appointment they had at the moment but I assured him I was allowed to change it once. Then I thought, this isn't the first appointment I've made; it's the first appointment after they cancelled. Will I be able to change it if it turns out not to be suitable? I won't even tell my daughter that she will have to attend again until I know what she will be doing after that last week as she can't cope with any more stress right now. :(

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago #144426 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP assessment cancelled
I think as they cancelled the first appointment you could still rearrange this one.

Obviously the more notice you have and can give the better but even if you ring on the day or the day before it is still the first cancellation you have instigated so if they say you can't make another you say we turned up for the first one and they cancelled it.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144437 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment cancelled

irisheyes wrote: I phoned Capita this morning ad made a new appointment for the last day of the last week of the semester but when I told my husband, he said our daughter might want to stay in Oxford a week later to have fun with her friends. It was the latest appointment they had at the moment but I assured him I was allowed to change it once. Then I thought, this isn't the first appointment I've made; it's the first appointment after they cancelled. Will I be able to change it if it turns out not to be suitable? I won't even tell my daughter that she will have to attend again until I know what she will be doing after that last week as she can't cope with any more stress right now. :(

Your original post suggests that you had re-arranged the appointment that was then cancelled, if this is the case then she must attend the next one.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

More
8 years 5 months ago #144456 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic PIP assessment cancelled
It is unlikely she will have classes that final week anyway so she could come home a day or two beforehand and go back if she wants to meet up with friends.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.