× Members

WRAG

More
8 years 5 months ago #144463 by Shelagh12354
WRAG was created by Shelagh12354
Hi, I don't know whether I'm in the right place or not, if not perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

I have been put in the Work Related Activity Group, from what I can see that means I have to attend regular meetings, if I don't I will be sanctioned. I am both Agoraphobic and Sociophobic on top of Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Cervical Spondylosis prolapsed discs and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome although I am having surgery to hopefully fix one wrist then the other in the not too distant future. I want to work, I go months without seeing or talking to anybody other than my husband, I go through the local papers looking for a job I could do, I am on the bank of the NHS Trust I worked for, I check what's available weekly, I can't find anything I could do. I have a lot of varied experience from clerical work, being a Counsellor to a Riding Instructress none of these I can do now. I don't know what to do, if I'm reading things correctly I will have to claim jobseekers if I appeal, I don't think I can do that as I'm not fit to work, is that how it works? I would also need to go to the job centre to claim jobseekers, would be unable to go into the building without having a panic attack.

Sorry I'm rambling on, basically help, I don't know what to do now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #144489 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic WRAG
Unfortunately that is how it works.

You can ring to claim jobseekers and explain your predicament.
They will be able to tell you what you will be required to do to get your benefit.
Even if you accept the WRAG you will have to attend regular meetings and undertake activities to avoid sanctions.
Its an impossible situation which thousnds are being subjected to every week.

Correction. You will stay on ESa in the WRAG whilst your appeal is being heard.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by foss27. Reason: Correction

More
8 years 5 months ago #144491 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic WRAG
comment

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• apricot
8 years 5 months ago #144676 by apricot
Replied by apricot on topic WRAG
If you appeal, and you can manage for a few months without an income, you can just say you are not fit for work, so cannot claim JSA. Then, when you hear from the HM Tribunal that they have accepted your case, provide the DWP with a fit note covering all of the time since your last payment to get assessment rate ESA.

Re WRAG activities, there are a few which can be done from home, using the telephone or the computer. They should take your health problems into consideration.

(Re CTS op - I had one during this process. It was very straightforward and only took about 10 minutes, and has been comfortable since that day.
I wish I'd been offered it years ago! )

• bro58
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #144689 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic WRAG

apricot wrote: If you appeal, and you can manage for a few months without an income, you can just say you are not fit for work, so cannot claim JSA. Then, when you hear from the HM Tribunal that they have accepted your case, provide the DWP with a fit note covering all of the time since your last payment to get assessment rate ESA.

Re WRAG activities, there are a few which can be done from home, using the telephone or the computer. They should take your health problems into consideration.

(Re CTS op - I had one during this process. It was very straightforward and only took about 10 minutes, and has been comfortable since that day.
I wish I'd been offered it years ago! )

Hi a,

The OP has been placed into The WRAG, so they do not have to claim JSA for an income.

If they wish to appeal The WRAG decision to gain access to The SG, they will continue to receive ESA WRAG whilst the MR/Appeal process in ongoing.

Sometimes, when a claimant informs The JC Adviser that they are challenging the WRAG decision (MR/Appeal) WRA Activities such as WFI's are deferred.

As you rightly say, the WRAG recipients health conditions and limitations should be taken into account by the Adviser when arranging any WRA activities.

As a WRAG member is classed as being unfit for work (they have been assessed as having Limited Capability for Work. (LCW) ) they cannot be compelled to actively seek or take up employment.

See :

Work Focused Interviews

Work Programme

Changes to ESA Sanctions

There is also a guide to help prevent Sanctions 5th link down : This page.

See also : Work Programme Provider Guidance Gov.Uk

For the OP's benefit :

ESA MR/Appeals Guidance.

Mandatory Reconsiderations Explained

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

Qualifying for the Support Group

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.