× Members

Confused re PIP claim

More
8 years 6 months ago #144959 by sam
Confused re PIP claim was created by sam
Hi

I am trying to complete my PIP claim and am struggling.

I have a Spinal Cord Stimulator which I use to manage pain from disc bulges at different levels/nerve compression. Is that classed as an aide or medication. I use it 24 hours although have to turn it down as rolling onto the electrodes fitted in my back causes surges. The over stimulation during the day causes restless legs so I am often awake half the night due to this. My overall pain is better managed but still take meds, still cant walk far or do much. Is it worth noting that my current battery could stop at anytime and when it does I will have to go onto a waiting list for surgery to get the battery replaced.
I have a walk in shower - is that an aide (as form states normal bath/shower).

DLA forms allowed for more explanation of how health issue impacted on day to day life.....confused

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #144994 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Confused re PIP claim
Sam

The assessment criteria for PIP are very different from those for DLA, more importantly the approach to assessment is fundamentally different.

PIP looks at your ability to perform each of the PIP Activities, so you need to explain how you are limited in performing these due to your condition(s).

I don't believe your Spinal Cord Stimulator will be classed as an aid, it is certainly not an appliance, you could argue that it allows you to carry out activities that you would not be able to do without it.

You need to be able to do each activity reliably and on the majority of days to not score points.

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #145011 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Confused re PIP claim
I will be interested to hear how you get on Sam, I am awaiting (and waiting, and waiting...) a SCS myself.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.