× Members

Cancer diagnosis

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145461 by Sheila
Cancer diagnosis was created by Sheila
My friend has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer - he is unemployed - are there any benefits he can claim.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145466 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Cancer diagnosis

Sheila wrote: My friend has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer - he is unemployed - are there any benefits he can claim.

Hi S,

I am sorry to hear of your friend's cancer diagnosis ! :(

They can make a claim for ESA and PIP separately !

If they have a terminal prognosis of 6 months or less, they can claim both under "Special Rules" and their claims should be fast-tracked resulting in a Support Group Award for ESA and at least an Enhanced Daily Living (Possibly Enhanced Mobility also) for PIP.

If they do have a 6 months or less prognosis, and DWP are rigid on this, they need to obtain a DS1500 from their G.P. , Consultant, etc which confirms this.

I would make some copies of The DS1500 to keep safe, and provide the original.

This being the case, they should inform DWP at the start of their ESA and PIP Claims.

See : How to claim PIP

ESA Gov.UK

If they are claiming under Special Rules, which is also covered in our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page) and our : ESA Claims Guides , they should not have to go through the full PIP Assessment or ESA WCA Process.

If they are not claiming under "Special Rules", they will go through the assessment processes, and you should still refer to our guides above.

See also :

ESA FAQ’s

B&W ESA WCA Self-Test

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

&

PIP Self Test

They could also Contact MacMillan who do have Welfare Advisers who can help with "Benefits" claims as a result of cancer.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.