× Members

Am bedridden, awarded only two points for washing

More
8 years 5 months ago #145742 by anniekim
Hi

I have very severe M.E which has rendered me bedridden 24/7 for the last 3 years. I have been given only standard care and am going to ask for mandatory reconsideration. I wrote reams in the form, had a consultant's letter. and am in shock

I was given 2 points out of a possible 8 for washing. I think I should fulfil 8 points but I would like to know what others think. I am totally bedridden and the most I can do is flop onto my chemical toilet 1 metre from my bed. I can sit up semi reclining a few minutes at a time in bed, the rest of the time I need to be flat. There is no way I would have enough energy to move to a wheelchair and stay upright in a chair to get to the shower, a few metres from my bedroom (bathroom next door) and then sit on a shower stool, all of which I clearly explained in the form. I don't have a bath but even if I did the transfer and energy involved to get to the bath would be too much.

So I am unable to get to the bathroom to shower or bathe. My carer beings a bowl of water and flannel to my bed. The only bit I wash is my private parts and under my arms. I am too weak to wash any other part of my body which I explained clearly in the form. I also explained I didn't do this daily but every other day. I said i could not wash any of my limbs, my torso and so on. Yet I have been awarded 2 points saying I only need an aid to help with washing. Surely if one I can't bathe or shower and I can only do my private parts in bed and the rest of the body has to be washed by my carer that counts as being unable to wash? I did say that as I am very touch sensitive my carer only rarely washes my body. Is this why they classed me as being able to wash with aids? Surely even if my carer rarely washes my body that doesn't change the fact I can't wash most of my body?

I feel I fit the final descriptor, g, that says " Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body. 8 points. " as I can't bathe and only can wash under my arms and private parts, the rest of the body must be washed by my carer.

Yet if they somehow want to take into account I wash my private parts and underarms in bed with a bowl brought by my carer, would I not at least fit descriptor h 'Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4 points.' As I can only wash under the arms, not anywhere else between shoulders and waist. I also note also it's only the final descriptor for question 7 for washing that mentions bathing, the rest only mention assistance, or parts of body, so I don't know how my circumstances fits into any of the descriptors for this question and presume that's why I have been in my opinion underscored. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago #145809 by foss27
Hi Annie

I think you should fit the 8 points based on what you have written here. The armpits are a very small part of shoulders to waist so shouldn't really be taken into consideration. If anything you have maybe been too honest in your reply and the assessor has taken it out of context.

In your MR submission you should emphasise the information and evidence you have already submitted and maybe get your carer to make a statement concerning the washing of your entire body.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.