× Members

pip renewal

• womble
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #146293 by womble
pip renewal was created by womble
Hi I just got an unexpected dreaded pip renewal letter. My award runs until November 2016 though which has confused me.

Also the letter inside is dated the 27th of November but I only got it though today. They want it completed and back by the 27th of December.

The first time I applied I sent copies of my medical records for parts of it, but there is not enough time to get copies and it sent back before Christmas now.

Should I call and ask for an extention, just with Christmas post I only really have a week to fill it in. Or should I just send it back without the extra medical notes since my last claim and hope for the best. I really don't want to have to appeal it later though and I'm worried they might stop the award I already have.

Will I have to have another face to face assessment too does anyone know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146302 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip renewal
Womble

I'm afraid the PIP legislation allows the DWP to re-assess a PIP claimant at any time and for any reason, most PIP claimants are being re-assessed a year in advance of their current award ending.

This is a full review of your claim so you should complete the form in detail and supply any evidence that is relevant, even if you have already submitted it as part of your previous assessment.

If you think you need an extension then you should request one.

The Assessment Providers don't seem to be treating renewals any differently from new claims, so whether a face to face is requires will depend on the information supplied in an with your PIP2.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: womble

• womble
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #146327 by womble
Replied by womble on topic pip renewal
I called and got a 10 day extention as with Christmas next week, as I couldn't think of a way to get it completed with evidence in a week to post it back in time. They had no sympathy for the fact the form took 2 weeks to get to me, and with Christmas post I wouldn't have time to get the evidence and get it back. They should have include bank holidays in their timescales really automatically, as I'm sure I'm not the only person who will get this just before Christmas.

I will have to beg the doctors to see if I can get some notes in time or not, or if they will allow another extention in jan.

As I have a year left on my award I wasn't expecting this either, so has shaken me up a bit.

• womble
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147441 by womble
Just to follow on from this. I got a letter on Christmas Eve dated the 17th - so after I'd been told I had an extension - saying the forms still needed to be back by the 27th.

The dwp was shut over Christmas then so had an insanely stressful time until they reopened.

I called back on the 30th and they said they would ask for another extention, and would confirm in 5 days buy it should be fine. The reason I was asking for more time again was because I've not been able to find anyone who could help me with the form over Christmas, and the docs I need from the doctors aren't ready as they had no admin staff in over Christmas.

I phoned again today as it is past the 5 days to get confirmation. They said it only got requested on the 4th so it is 5 days from then, which isn't true as they can see the call was on the 30th. They won't escalate it or get anyone to look for another 5 working days which would be too late.

She told me to just send the form back and put for each section "please refer to my previous application " for every section. Does this sound right though? I'm really worried I'll end up with zero points if the form isn't correct and I don't trust anything they are telling me on the phone.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147463 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip renewal
Womble

The reminder letter will have been generated automatically and may have crossed with the extension request in the PIP computer system.

I'm afraid, as no one is able to confirm whether an extension has been agreed to or not I cannot offer definitive advice, you will need to choose the least risky option in your opinion.

If your form is ready to be returned by what you believe the original extension date to be then you can include a covering letter explaining that it has been returned on the basis of that extension.

If you do not trust that the extension has been granted then you can return the form now, as is with a covering letter explaining that you will supply any missing content as soon as you can. When you do, send a copy to the DWP, to the Assessment Provider (AP), you may need to wait to do this until they contact you and finally, take a copy of the information to any face to face assessment and require the assessor to read it before continuing with the interview.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• womble
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147484 by womble
Thanks for the advice Gordon.

Luckily someone from dwp just called me. They didn't really know why they had been asked to call me, as he said at first to wait a couple of weeks to see if I had an extension which would have been too late.

In the end he read my notes and has changed it to the end of the month thank goodness. He also said I shouldn't really just put see information from last form, as they need to know how it is impacting me now. So I'm glad I hadn't started writing on the actual form yet and was still doing it in draft on paper.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.