× Members

Aspie daughter's PIP denied

More
8 years 3 months ago #147363 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
The medical assessment process isn't suitable for anyone. I've been through it myself (I have ME).
I have a new question for moderators: my daughter hates going to see the doctor. In the past she has refused to give me a definite answer in advance of the appointment as to whether she will go or not so that, on the day, she says she doesn't want to go and it's too late to cancel. I don't want her to be removed from the list but, if I don't cancel and then she doesn't want to go, she will accuse me of bullying her. Should I cancel and hope for the best or insist that she goes and risk accusations of bullying? If the mandatory reconsideration is unsuccessful, she can still appeal, but I wanted to spare her this if possible. Also, she is at home now. If it has to go to a tribunal, she will have to come back from uni, possibly during term-time, which will cause her further anxiety. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147378 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
Irisheyes

I've read your post several times and I am sorry, but I really don't understand what you are asking!

Sorry :blush:

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

More
8 years 3 months ago #147394 by ELEANOR
I asked 'should I cancel her doctor's appointment tomorrow or make her keep it as she is accusing me of bullying her?'

By the time you reply, it will be too late for me to cancel the appointment, so she will have to go. She won't listen to me when I've tried to explain why she needs to go so I'll ask my husband to speak to her tonight. She is more likely to listen to him and is less likely to lose his temper with frustration than I am.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147398 by ELEANOR
Following on from my reply to you earlier, Gordon, and realising that it hasn't yet appeared as it needs to be moderated, I told my daughter at around 5pm that it was really important that she go to the doctor with me tomorrow to which she replied.'Okay.' I have ME, a daughter with Asperger's and my son was assessed for Asperger's at the age of 8 and told he did not have the full syndrome but has 'traits.' He is now almost 26, living in London, has to be nagged to claim all the benefits he's entitled to, won't check on them when they don't keep him updated and has two weeks to find alternative accommodation after he told his current landlordsix weeks he wants to move out because they'd put up his rent by another £40 a month. I was going to give up alcohol for January; I've just been to the Co-Op and bought a bottle of wine. Sometimes, you just have to have it! :laugh:

More
8 years 3 months ago #147408 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied

irisheyes wrote: I asked 'should I cancel her doctor's appointment tomorrow or make her keep it as she is accusing me of bullying her?'

By the time you reply, it will be too late for me to cancel the appointment, so she will have to go. She won't listen to me when I've tried to explain why she needs to go so I'll ask my husband to speak to her tonight. She is more likely to listen to him and is less likely to lose his temper with frustration than I am.

With the greatest respect, this is really not a question for the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #147489 by ELEANOR
With the greatest respect, I didn't realise it wasn't or I wouldn't have asked.

We have just seen our normally very supportive doctor. He said: 'Letters of support were a waste of time for Mandatory Reconsideration, this is a very busy time of year and you do know we don't have to do this?' I said I knew I would have to pay a fee. He said, 'It won't be done quickly.' I said that was fine, as long as I had it in a week or so. He said, 'It won't be within a week.' I explained that, because the letter the DWP had sent informing her her claim had been denied was sent before Christmas, it had arrived only three weeks before the deadline. I didn't tell him I had given up the appointment I had made for myself as it takes three weeks to get an appointment with him. I could ask for an emergency appointment on the day but my daughter needs to have at least 24 hours prior notice of any appointments. He asked on what grounds I was contesting the decision and started to type. I told him I had spent three days putting together some notes to help him with the letter and I would have to read it to go over all the grounds. He asked me to phone him in a week's time if I hadn't heard from him first.

I told him that I would not have come to see him had I not been advised by Benefits and Work that it would be a good idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.