× Members

Aspie daughter's PIP denied

More
8 years 3 months ago #147112 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
Not so! I asked for a MR the first time I applied for PIP. I was phoned and offered lower rate mobility component which I accepted although I could have gone to a tribunal. At my recent assessment a kind assessor wrote her report in such a way that I was awarded this as well as and extra £55 a week for Daily Living Allowance. I have written out a simple, step-by-step guide for my daughter to let her know what happens next. She becomes very distressed when I try to discuss it with her so putting it in writing is less stressful for both of us. I have emphasised that the DWP use bullying tactics to persuade claimants that they are not really entitled to benefits. She was bullied for 12 years at school and by some tutors and students during her first year at university so she knows how important it is not to let bullies win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147113 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
I would definitely try and get another report from gp. My brother has aspergers and got zero points for pip. Assessor came to home and report says he showed no signs of anxiety spoke well and interacted with her normally. He was so stressed after visit he kept saying his was going to kill himself. He is 42 and still lives with my parents. He left school at 11 and has never worked spends most of his life in his bedroom and refuses to see any extended family and can't cope. MR came back with 2 pts needing support to interact with people and 4 pts for planning journey. We believe he should have got enhanced care and at least standard mobility. Now going for appeal tribunal but he is refusing to attend and our gp letter is not very detailed. So more info you can get to put the better. Ours said as she doesn't see him was not dress etc she can't comment on it but she understand it be part of his character. Hard to get people to understand what Aspie means and how much it can affect someone's life. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #147133 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
Irisheyes, very pleased for you to be one of the few to get something from aMR.
You can go through posts on this forum and elsewhere and see how few get anything from a MR.

Hopefully you will get your award from the MR but the majority have to go to the independent panel to get a fair decision.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147136 by ELEANOR

Lisa wrote: I would definitely try and get another report from gp. My brother has aspergers and got zero points for pip. Assessor came to home and report says he showed no signs of anxiety spoke well and interacted with her normally. He was so stressed after visit he kept saying his was going to kill himself. He is 42 and still lives with my parents. He left school at 11 and has never worked spends most of his life in his bedroom and refuses to see any extended family and can't cope. MR came back with 2 pts needing support to interact with people and 4 pts for planning journey. We believe he should have got enhanced care and at least standard mobility. Now going for appeal tribunal but he is refusing to attend and our gp letter is not very detailed. So more info you can get to put the better. Ours said as she doesn't see him was not dress etc she can't comment on it but she understand it be part of his character. Hard to get people to understand what Aspie means and how much it can affect someone's life. Good luck.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Have you had advice from the NAS? I enquired about being made an appointee but was told someone from the DWP would have to assess her at home when she and I were both there. She would hide in her room and refuse to come out and I wouldn't put her through that; it has been difficult enough to get her to agree to make the claim. foss27, I expect the DWP saw that I had won two appeals for ESA after going to a tribunal (before Mandatory Reconsideration was introduced) and realised that I would get more money if I decided to go to a tribunal this time. The man who phoned me heaved a huge sigh and said: 'Thank you!' when I said I would accept lower rate mobility component. I hope they recognise my name on my daughter's claim and realise that I will fight to the bitter end for her to receive the benefits to which she is entitled.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147195 by ELEANOR
Ironically the letter reminding her of her appointment on December 11 arrived on January 2.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147352 by Zenele
Replied by Zenele on topic Aspie daughter's PIP denied
I'm amazed reading what you have said that because your daughter has a debit card, she can manage her finances? Can she understand and pay bills, manage her money? Reading forum postings re Autistic Spectrum P.I.P. applicants. I think the medical assessors have limited understanding of Autism, and the medical assessment process is not appropriate for Autistic people.

Regards

Celya

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.