× Members

Using a wheelchair to prepare food in the kitchen

More
8 years 4 months ago #147129 by Steff
I have a query regarding adaptations, in particular to activity 1 'preparing food' for PIP. I am asking if a wheelchair is taken into consideration as an appliance for food preparation? The law states that moving food from the place of preparation to a table to eat it, is NOT covered, that's mobility, fair enough.

I have trouble seeing how food can be prepared without a wheelchair, a perching stool could be used, but those would not be acceptable to some clients. But these can be painfully uncomfortable, and, as their legs need to be splayed out, can be downright dangerous, causing tripping for example.

My gut feeling is that a wheelchair will not be regarded, however, I need it clarified. Also could you ask if there is any official documentation or case law to back up an answer? Thank you so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #147152 by Gordon
SM

Welcome to the forum

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

A wheelchair is not specifically consider as part of the Preparing Food activity, however, this does mean that it cannot be a factor as to why you cannot carry out this activity.

First you will need to show why you cannot stand or "perch" in order to prepare and cook a meal, this would include your transferring from a seated position to a standing one. The activity requires any work to be done at waist height, in other words at the normal level for a worktop and hob, so you need to show that even if, as an example; you could prepare vegetables on a tray on your lap that you could not then perform the other functions involved in cooking a meal at the required height, assuming this is the case.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.