× Members

PIP Managing Treatments Q5

More
8 years 3 months ago #147483 by mommaduck
Replied by mommaduck on topic PIP Managing Treatments Q5
I can't argue this point with you Gordon as I obviously don't know, but unless you understand the Gluten Free diet from the perspective of a coeliac then you probably won't understand it. It is a medical condition with grave consequences if not adhered to.

To be 'glutened' in the short term, means diarrhoea, vomiting,damage to the intestines causing inability to absorb nutrients, vitamins and minerals from your food, malnutrition and weight loss, and in the longer term, stomach cancer.

All I am saying is that for me to stay healthy and not become ill by eating gluten containing, or contaminated food, I have to stick to this diet.

I have no choice, and because of this, that is why these 'staples' are provided on prescription rather than expecting me to go out and buy them using the now 'fad diet gluten free foods', that have started appearing in the supermarkets..it is too expensive, cost alone is prohibited..£3 for a tiny, unpalatable loaf. Don't think you would be happy to pay that, no more than you would privately go and purchase medicines that have been prescribed on the NHS at an elevated cost.

As the flour is special flour with the gluten taken out, not a gluten alternative as per the supermarket, it cannot be bought in any supermarket, it is provided by the NHS so that it can be turned into palatable bread..this is as necessary to my well being as taking any one of the 15 different medication/inhalers that are also prescribed. In effect, it is still medicine, and medicine comes under 'managing therapy'.

As previously explained, as with preparing a cooked simple meal, I don't no longer have the physical ability, and along with this, I don't have the ability to make bread, that is why my carer does it.

It appears from your reply that you are advising me to stop eating bread and eat something else instead? Bread is a staple food and it is the rare person that does not eat it.

It's a bit like Marie Antoinette saying 'let them eat cake'.

Don't mean to rant Gordon, not have one of my 'good days'..whatever they are. :sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147494 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Managing Treatments Q5
MD

I'm sorry but I think you have completely misunderstood my post, especially if you think that I am suggesting that you give up eating bread!!!

If you are to have any chance of scoring extra points for Managing Treatments due to your diet you need to show two things.

First that there is extra "work" in the managing of your diet that goes beyond what would be reasonably be expected for Preparing and Cooking a meal. Examples of this would be if you need to check the amount of salt in the meal or sugars, etc., or if due to the diet you could only eat food prepared and cooked in particular way, for example only steamed food, or food that requires additional steps after the normal cooking process, for example it needs to be liquefied or cooled to a particular temperature.

Secondly and just as importantly, that the extra effort is required, that there are no reasonable alternatives. Your use of bread is a good example of this, I'm sure that a Decision Maker will do exactly what I did last night and visit the websites for the five major food retailers to check whether they have gluten free bread for sale, which they all do with a number of other ingredients.

So again using bread as example, you would need to show that the bread available from the supermarkets does not meet your dietary requirements, for example; it has additional ingredients that you are also allergic to and that the only bread you can eat is home made because you can control all of the ingredients, price is unlikely to be a winning argument. However, even if this is the case I believe that you would also have to show that the nutritional value of the bread cannot be replaced by another food with similar properties, for example in terms of carbohydrates, could you replace the bread with a suitable rice?

So, if you think that you can argue that the bread (or other items), are essential to your diet, that you cannot use shop bought products and that there are no reasonable alternatives, then go for it, the fact that some of the items are on prescription may help you to show this, but remember that you are talking to someone who likely has no understanding of your condition and the implications so you must lay out your argument carefully and show that there is no alternative.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.