× Members

Failed PIP reconsideration

More
8 years 3 months ago #147238 by Mo
Failed PIP reconsideration was created by Mo
Hi, I have appealed my PIP decision and been role that the evidence still stands that due to be able to walk 20 metres and not more than 50 metres I only qualify for standard rate for mobility. Therefore I have to return my mobility car in 2 weeks as was previously on high rate for Mobility with DLA.
My condition has worsened and will continue to do so in the future. Is it worthwhile going for a tribunal or am I wasting my time due to the fact I can walk 20 metres but when I do I am in pain. Also like to point out the questions are flawed for this assessment!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147261 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Failed PIP reconsideration

Mo wrote: Hi, I have appealed my PIP decision and been role that the evidence still stands that due to be able to walk 20 metres and not more than 50 metres I only qualify for standard rate for mobility. Therefore I have to return my mobility car in 2 weeks as was previously on high rate for Mobility with DLA.
My condition has worsened and will continue to do so in the future. Is it worthwhile going for a tribunal or am I wasting my time due to the fact I can walk 20 metres but when I do I am in pain. Also like to point out the questions are flawed for this assessment!

You say that your condition has deteriorated, if this has occurred since the Decision on your PIP claim was made then a Tribunal cannot consider the change.

The law does not require you to walk pain free, but you must be able to walk reliably on the majority of days, these terms are defined in the PIP Claim guide.

So the question you need to ask yourself is whether you can reasonably show that you cannot reliably stand and then walk for no more than 20m on the majority of days.

If you think that this is the case then you can either appeal, subject to my earlier comment, or ask to be re-assessed. Neither option is risk free as they both result in a new Decision on your claim and this can be the increased award that you are looking for or a reduced or even removed award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #147280 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic Failed PIP reconsideration
I would appeal. It is to be expected that the DWP will make every effort to deny you benefits. The tribunal panel is independent of the DWP. Although I have only been to tribunal (twice) after being denied ESA, I won both times and, the second time, one of the panel 'suggested' (once the recording device had been switched off)I ought to claim PIP, having been refused DLA when I had first applied ten years previously.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.