× Members

Deadline for PIP

• AM
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147268 by AM
Deadline for PIP was created by AM
I would appreciate some advice. I am being moved from DLA to PIP. The initial claim via phone was meant to be started today. This was physically not possible. Is it correct that my DLA (which stops at the end of April) will be suspended for 4 weeks and then stopped if I do not start the new claim, within this time?

Secondly, if it is not possible to complete the main form within the specified time, would I then have to start a new claim for PIP at a later date? My health has deteriorated to such an extent that despite your excellent guides, I am not confident of completing it within time. Would this create any further complications, or would it be a case of starting n new claim for PIP?

Apologies if this has been asked before. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147295 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Deadline for PIP
AM

If you have not started a PIP claim by the date on the invitation letter then your DLA payments will be suspended, you should have already had a reminder letter.

You will be given a further four weeks to start your claim, a specific date will be included in the next letter informing you of your DLA being suspended.

If you still fail to start a PIP claim by this new date then your PIP and DLA claims will be closed, with limited rights of appeal.

There is no waiting period for making a new claim for PIP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: AM

• AM
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147336 by AM
Replied by AM on topic Deadline for PIP
Thank you, Gordon. Yes, have had the reminder letter. The initial claim was meant to start yesterday. There seems to have been a crossover and the latest DLA payment was received yesterday. Would it be best to notify the DWP that I am not able to start a claim at this time
(if not started within the further 4 weeks) rather than to have the claim automatically closed?Health aside, I also need time to gather medical evidence.

Is it correct to say that if you do not start a claim by the date you are invited to do so, that you are not penalized for this in any way, when you do start the claim.

Not ideal to delay starting the claim for PIP but I see no way around it :(

More
8 years 3 months ago #147350 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Deadline for PIP
AM

You will not be penalised for not completing the claim process, but your DLA claim will be closed as a result and you will not receive further payment.

I do want to emphasis that this phone call is simply to start the claim process, once done, you will then be sent a PIP2 form to complete and will be given four weeks to do this, if you are still struggling to complete it then you can request an extension of two weeks, so there may be plenty of time for you to gather your evidence.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: AM

• AM
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147356 by AM
Replied by AM on topic Deadline for PIP
Many thanks for the clarification. It may be a plan to start the claim, rather than to have my DLA closed as a result. If it's then not possible even with an extension, I could always start a new claim for PIP at a later date.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.