× Members

Total Parenteral Nutrition

More
8 years 3 months ago #148442 by nwflyboy
Total Parenteral Nutrition was created by nwflyboy
Hi Guys,

First time post, so "Hellooo!".

I am just making a start on actually filling in my PIP form. As per the title, I am fed via a tube in my chest. It is connected to a rate limiting pump, connected/disconnected by visiting nurses twice a day (30mins AM, 45 mins PM), 6 days out of seven. I am also aware, that it is in the DWP guidance that I am unsuitable for assessment at a centre. Every cloud, I guess... But I have read a story of someone being invited into the centre.

My query is this: is there any further information I can find about how the DWP regard this? Any presumptions they make? Obviously, the assessment is how things affect you personally, but is there any internal guidance from the DWP or anything that might offer me some clues?

What can I expect from a home visit?

I have used all my google-fu skills, and I've largely drawn a blank, so any clues would be great.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148459 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
nwflyboy

There is an agreement between the DWP and the Assessment Providers (AP) as to what conditions exempt a claimant from having to attend at their offices for an assessment. however, there is no legal requirement for the AP to follow this guidance and they often do not.

I would speak to your GP and ask them to provide a letter explaining why you cannot attend at the AP's office, they may say that the AP will contact them about this, whilst this might happen the reality is that in the majority of cases they do not contact the GP, so a letter is really needed now, so that you can send a copy with your PIP2 when you return it.

You say that you are making a start on filling in the PIP2 form, have you actually received one to complete or are you preparing in advance, if the latter, then you should be aware that you must use the form sent to you as it will have a unique barcode.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #148473 by nwflyboy
Replied by nwflyboy on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
Thanks Gordon,

I have received my form, it has to be back by the end of next week. I have done quite a bit of research prior to asking for the form, so I am now just bringing it all together. The timing certainly isn't perfect, but it certainly isn't of my choosing. :(

Would it be worth highlighting my TPN treatment on the first page, and perhaps pointing out that because of it, I am unable to leave the house until at least 11am every morning as I am waiting for nurses to disconnect the equipment?

Is there any specific guidance for people on this type of treatment?

Thanks very much,

nwfb

More
8 years 3 months ago #148494 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
nwflyboy

Yes I would include your TPN treatment at the beginning of the form but you should still complete the rest of the form in detail, question 4; Eating and Drinking would be the section to explain your TPN in detail, based on what you have posted it should score you 6 points. See the PIP Claim guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Carole
8 years 3 months ago #148518 by Carole
Replied by Carole on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
Hi nwflyboy,
I care for my daughter who is on TPN, I do all the looking after her PICC line and what the nurses will do for you.
Do you have a PEG tube also? Then this requires a lot of looking after.
Anyway my daughter got a home visit without any problem not even a GP letter was needed. She was awarded enhanced rates for both indefinitely.
Hope you get a good result, it's awful not being able to eat or drink and being on TPN. Xxx

More
8 years 3 months ago #149134 by nwflyboy
Replied by nwflyboy on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
Carole,

Thank you for this. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am used to getting notifications via email or something.

At least someone knows the problems I have! Thankfully, I do not have to manage a peg feed at the moment, though I have been fed via NG and NJ tubes in the past.

I am just going through everything in painful detail, describing how everything affects the different aspects of living.

How did you answer questions about needing someone with your daughter to get about about? I won't go out without relatives because the tube running from my rucksack to my main line (into the heart) is prone to being grabbed or caught on something. The unplanned removal of this line is life threatening hence I need someone to help me and keep an eye out. I am just not convinced this will convince them of the need.

Any pointers?

nwfb

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.