× Members

Total Parenteral Nutrition

• Mrs Wardy :-))
8 years 3 months ago #149330 by Mrs Wardy :-))
Replied by Mrs Wardy :-)) on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
Hi again,
My daughters TPN runs overnight for 14 hours so we don't take her out with it running. She has a suction machine attached to her peg tube which we take around with us and hang over the wheelchair. Her stomach doesn't function so has to be emptied this way. She is also on several laxatives a day because her colon doesn't work either resulting in bowel incintinence.

She was given a home visit for face to face without any problem, the health professional was really nice had the forms and hospital letters and went over everything? My daughter also has an extremely rare Autistic Spectrum disorder (so rare the genetic consultant has put her case on a database to see if anyone else in the world is similar) and learning difficulties, partially sighted so is never alone.
Going back to the TPN it should be a given that you qualify, I know a few people who are not as complex as my daughter who were awarded high rate for both components. Yes you're right about the rucksack and keeping the line safe from being pulled out and you need to be vigilant of people rushing about and possibly banging into you so you would head a companion going out.
Hopefully you get a nice Health Profesional who has some knowledge about your condition. As I said to the one who came to visit my daughter if she didn't get high rate for both I would be asking for a review as her condition was not the result of alcohol abuse, drug abuse or smoking which a lot of people do and end up on these benefits because their health problems are more or less self inflicted, which they kind of agreed.
X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153032 by nwflyboy
Replied by nwflyboy on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
Hi Guys,

I've got a home visit by ATOS tomorrow morning.

Anything I should be aware of? Will they want to see my aids and equipment? I've got severe abdominal injuries, and that makes moving a bit of an issue, but I can cope round the house.

If they ask me to walk fifty metres, I can't without major pain, when attached to my feeding equipment. It isn't so bad without. I will not be attached to the equipment when they come, so how is best to handle that?

I guess it's a case of things being variable, and they won't be at their worst when they visit.

Any thoughts or experience very welcome.

Thanks

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153037 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition

nwflyboy wrote: Hi Guys,

I've got a home visit by ATOS tomorrow morning.

Anything I should be aware of? Will they want to see my aids and equipment? I've got severe abdominal injuries, and that makes moving a bit of an issue, but I can cope round the house.

If they ask me to walk fifty metres, I can't without major pain, when attached to my feeding equipment. It isn't so bad without. I will not be attached to the equipment when they come, so how is best to handle that?

I guess it's a case of things being variable, and they won't be at their worst when they visit.

Any thoughts or experience very welcome.

Thanks

There's a section at the bac of the PIP Claim guide that covers the assessment and the questions you likely to be asked.

They may ask to see the equipment but I think it unlikely.

You won't be asked to walk 50m but they may ask you to walk inside your house, perhaps 4-5m, if this would cause you severe discomfort then you should make the assessor aware of this and not do the walk.

Best of luck.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158614 by nwflyboy
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice and use of your experience. I had the assessment, and it took an age for the paperwork to come through (3 weeks ago)

I have been awarded 14 points Daily Living, and 4 points mobility. But I am not happy.

Firstly, they say "You can either manage medication therapy or monitor your health condition unaided, or you don't need to. This gives you a score of 0"

The descriptor I think applies is "3e. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 7 but no more than 14 hours a week. 6 points."

I have two nurse visits a day, as the hospital will not let me look after my own line.

However, they have given me 6 points because I "need assistance from another person to manage a theraputic source that enables you to take nutrition. This gives you a score of 6 points"

I don't think they have acknowledged that TPN is effectively medicine?? And that the nurses are monitoring me at every visit. Or can the same issue only give rise to points in one descriptor?

I also got other points for appliances etc. so it won't make a difference financially, but I don't trust them to not change the rules (on appliances?) in the future, hence I want to make sure I have the max points I possibly can.

When it comes to mobility, I said I can walk 100m before experiencing difficulty, which they agreed with (4 points). That's fair enough as far as it goes.

I think "1f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points." should apply to me when I am on the pump, connected to my Aorta, for 14 hours a day, even if most of it is of a night. I need someone to ensure no one is getting entangled in the line. It's very dangerous.

In all, I think they have missed the seriousness of the line, the management needed, and the risks involved.

What do you guys think? What do I do from here?

I have till Friday to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration. I have had other things to deal with (a civil court case) so sorry for this being so late, but it couldn't be helped.

Got my ESA form as well, but I don't think that is going to be a problem - tube fed is enough for support group. So I am hoping, this, ESA, and court case is my three!

Cheers

More
7 years 11 months ago #158642 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Total Parenteral Nutrition
nwflyboy

Congratulations on the award.

I would not expect you to score in both activities for your TPN even if you could argue that it was delivering therapy as well as nutrition, the assistance you are being given is the same.

The Going Out activity looks at a claimants issues with planning and following a route due to cognitive, mental health or sensory issues, I would not expect you to score points in this activity due to your TPN, this would have come under the Moving Around activity which deals with physical issues.

Plans to reduce the points awarded for the use of aids have been shelved.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158726 by nwflyboy
Gordon,

Thank you for your response. It's very informative, and pretty much what I had come round to thinking. Having someone experienced confirming my logic is great reassurance. This site has made the process so much easier, keep up the good work!

Thanks again,

nwfb
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.