× Members

M.E. and CFS

More
8 years 3 months ago #148448 by wendy2
M.E. and CFS was created by wendy2
Hi, I just posted a question but should have included this in it too.My son became ill with M.E. before his 14th birthday and is now almost 42.He has never been able to work. He is to attend a face to face assessment soon for ESA .He has never had a medical or assessment since the initial one when he was about 14. I just wonder if anyone else has had this same experience,or similar .Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148464 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic M.E. and CFS

wendy wrote: Hi, I just posted a question but should have included this in it too.My son became ill with M.E. before his 14th birthday and is now almost 42.He has never been able to work. He is to attend a face to face assessment soon for ESA .He has never had a medical or assessment since the initial one when he was about 14. I just wonder if anyone else has had this same experience,or similar .Thank you.

Hi w,

Has your Son actually received an appointment for an ESA face to face ?

Or, are you just assuming that he will have to attend one at his next ESA reassessment?

If it is the former, See : ESA Face to Face “Medical” – What to expect

From our : ESA FAQ’s and the relevant sections in our : ESA Claims Guides

If he does have to attend a face to face he should be aware that how he manages the return trip will be taken into account as part of the assessment, and he may be observed on approaching, leaving and whilst inside the centre.

Assumptions may be made by the assessor with regards to the above.

These assumptions could result in the assessor writing comments/recommendations within the ESA85 medical report which they compile and send to The DWP.

If the latter is the case, it is not a definite that he will have to attend a face to face if he can provide enough evidence in the ESA50 that he will receive when his reassessment process begins.

If his limitations dictate that he cannot attend an Assessment Centre, he should make the request for a Home Assessment as early on in the process as possible, preferably with The ESA50 .

A letter from his G.P. supporting a Home Assessment stating why he cannot travel to/from an Assessment Centre should help.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148476 by wendy2
Replied by wendy2 on topic M.E. and CFS
Thank you for reply.He definitely has a face to face assessment - this Thursday in fact. As I said he has never had any assessment in all the years since first awarded Severe Disability Allowance when he was about 15 i think.So it is especially traumatic for him - and me - as he has no experience of any type of assessment.And will the fact he has never had a job and has been ill since a teenager have any bearing.Thank you.

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148479 by bro58

wendy wrote: Thank you for reply.He definitely has a face to face assessment - this Thursday in fact. As I said he has never had any assessment in all the years since first awarded Severe Disability Allowance when he was about 15 i think.So it is especially traumatic for him - and me - as he has no experience of any type of assessment.And will the fact he has never had a job and has been ill since a teenager have any bearing.Thank you.

Hi w,

"And will the fact he has never had a job and has been ill since a teenager have any bearing"

This should help to show that he has a long standing medical condition that has meant that he could not work for some considerable time.

However, he will be assessed to see whether he still scores the minimum requisite 15 points cumulatively across : The Functional WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Descriptors or, if not, whether he qualifies for The WRAG via : ESA Reg 29 for entry to The WRAG (LCW)

PLUS Post 28/01/13 Amendment of :

(3) Paragraph (2)(b) does not apply where the risk could be reduced by a significant amount by—

(a)reasonable adjustments being made in the claimant’s workplace;

or

(b)the claimant taking medication to manage the claimant’s condition where such medication has been prescribed for the claimant by a registered medical practitioner treating the claimant.”.

From : www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3096/regulation/3/made

He will then be assessed (at the same time) to see whether he can fulfil at least one of : The Functional SG (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Descriptors to be placed into The SG, or if not, under: ESA Reg 35 for entry to The Support Group (SG) (LCWRA)

Do not think of the face to face as a "medical", as it is not !

The Assessor will ask pre-designated questions by using The LiMA software programme on their P.C., then enter your Son's responses.

This is why you need to read through what questions to expect in our Guides, and any assumptions that may be made by LiMA the software, from your Son's responses.

You can accompany him, and you can take notes.

Did you request that the face to face is audio recorded where you receive a copy of the audio recording after the assessment ?

If not, you might want to contact : The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) (aka HAAS) (Maximus) who took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15.

They do provide this facility, however as the assessment is on Thursday, this may mean that you have to re-arrange the face to face.

You are allowed to re-arrange once, but if you do so, you should be aware that if your Son fails to attend the re-arranged appointment, his ESA payments may be stopped.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148484 by wendy2
Replied by wendy2 on topic M.E. and CFS
Thank you so much.I have requested audio recording and they have said they will provide this.We are reading through your list of possible questions with my son just now and just have to wait and see and hope for best.Your replies much appreciated

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago #148495 by bro58

wendy wrote: Thank you so much.I have requested audio recording and they have said they will provide this.We are reading through your list of possible questions with my son just now and just have to wait and see and hope for best.Your replies much appreciated

Hi w,

Best of luck for your Son !!

I hope all goes well for him.

Please let us know how he got on by replying to this topic ! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.