× Members

MOVING AROUND

More
8 years 3 months ago #149069 by matstanza
MOVING AROUND was created by matstanza
Hi, I am filling in the pip form for my wife who has Multiple Sclerosis. and I am a little confused by the Question 13 going out, is this for mental health only. My wife is virtually unable to walk and we use a wheelchair that I push as she doesn't have the strength to propel herself when we go out , she never goes out on her own, so I plan all journeys. Does this question apply to us and if so how would I answer
thanks Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149082 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic MOVING AROUND

matstanza wrote: Hi, I am filling in the pip form for my wife who has Multiple Sclerosis. and I am a little confused by the Question 13 going out, is this for mental health only. My wife is virtually unable to walk and we use a wheelchair that I push as she doesn't have the strength to propel herself when we go out , she never goes out on her own, so I plan all journeys. Does this question apply to us and if so how would I answer
thanks Paul.

Question 13, Going Out, looks at the claimants ability to plan and follow a route, physical issues with walking will not be considered, these are covered in question 14 Moving Around. The question is aimed at claimants with mental health, cognitive or sensory issues which would effect there ability to perform this activity.

If the only reason your wife does not go out because of her walking then I would not expect her to score point for this Activity.

You say that you plan all journeys, is this because it is easier that way, in which case she is unlikely to score or because she is unable to plan a route herself in which case you should explain why this is the case.

This is explained in more detail in the PIP Claim guide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #149091 by matstanza
Replied by matstanza on topic MOVING AROUND
Thankyou for your reply, The reason I say I plan all journeys is because my wife doesn't drive and she relies on myself or family and friends to take her out. My wife also suffers from anxiety and depression so planning a journey on her own would be difficult. The reason I wasn't sure was because she is physically disabled she is unable to go out on her own, so does the question 13 going out apply to her.
paul

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #149094 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic MOVING AROUND

matstanza wrote: Thankyou for your reply, The reason I say I plan all journeys is because my wife doesn't drive and she relies on myself or family and friends to take her out. My wife also suffers from anxiety and depression so planning a journey on her own would be difficult. The reason I wasn't sure was because she is physically disabled she is unable to go out on her own, so does the question 13 going out apply to her.
paul

As I explained in my previous post, physical problems with walking are covered under question 14, you can answer on this basis in question 13 but I would not expect her to score points.

As to planning a route, the issue (as it is with all of the activities) is not whether they don't do the activity but rather whether they can't perform it due to their conditions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matstanza

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.