× Members

Now too old to claim

• MistyMoo2
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #149156 by MistyMoo2
Now too old to claim was created by MistyMoo2
Hi, I claimed for DLA in 2010 and was denied. However I did persist with the claim and was awarded mobility component for two years, after an appeal tribunal.
I felt so incredibly humiliated by the whole process that when it came to reapply I did not. I did not get any forms for renewal either.
Now I am even more disabled, but past the 65 mark and when I attempt to complete the forms am told that I am too old to claim for DLA. I am also not eligible for PIP so not sure what to do now. Can anyone advise me please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149185 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Now too old to claim
Hi Misty Moo

From the information you've provided, it looks as though you might be able to apply for Attendance Allowance.

You have to be over 65; have to have had your condition for at least 6 months.

You need to explain how you need help during the day with various activities - moving around, personal care, dressing/undressing etc (even if you don't actually get any care). If you look up Attendance Allowance under the 'Other Benefits' section, it will give you more details.

You can also show that you need help during the night - if you need help to get into and out of bed, help with toileting etc, or if you are in danger of 'wandering off' during the night.

There is no provision for help with mobility needs with Attendance Allowance. It focuses purely on help with personal care.

As with every application, you will really need to have the support of your GP and/or Consultant to confirm your needs.

Good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.