× Members

phone appointment TOMORROW medical last week

More
8 years 2 months ago #149557 by Gordon
madgemadge

The big change to the ESA Descriptors was made in 2011 and there was a minor but nonetheless important one in early 2013, there have also been some changes to the guidance.

The Decision declares you Fit for Work, so the DWP cannot refuse a claim for JSA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• madgemadge
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #149615 by madgemadge
Replied by madgemadge on topic phone appointment TOMORROW medical last week
Thanks - would this be contribution based job seekers allowance? My husband works so I wont be able to get means tested benefits.

I will ask DWP to get the details of the medical interview as I do think I have over 15 points. I imagine that the interviewer just put down I can do most things - which is not correct but it is maybe 75% not able due to bad pain brain fog memory etc and 25% able. Some months especially winters it is 95% unable to do simple things. I will look at your appeals sectionn.

It is very catch 22 - as I wanted to say that I can do things sometimes - I wish I hadnt now! Maybe I should have just talked about the bad days.

Thanks again for your help.

• foss27
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149636 by foss27
Hi
I am sure once you get the assessors report you will find things to challenge.
I hope you feel up to it.
You will be entitled to basic JSA as you have full pension contributions that means you have full contributions for benefits.
You should maybe tell them you have been found fit for work after being in the support group and if you are appealing. This usually menas they give you less hassle but watch out for sanctions for not doing stuff they want you to do.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by foss27.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149638 by Gordon

madgemadge wrote: Thanks - would this be contribution based job seekers allowance? My husband works so I wont be able to get means tested benefits.

From an earlier post you have been claiming ESA for a number of years, a Contribution Based JSA claim will look at your NI Contribution history during the Tax Years 2013-14 and 2014-15, if you did not work during these periods then I would not expect you to qualify as you will not have paid enough NI Contributions, but it is worth your still checking as there are some exceptions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• foss27
8 years 2 months ago #149642 by foss27
Hi Madge
Whilst on ESA you should have got class 1 NI credits which include credits for contribution based JSA.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149646 by Gordon

foss27 wrote: Hi Madge
Whilst on ESA you should have got class 1 NI credits which include credits for contribution based JSA.

To qualify for ESA(CB) or JSA(CB) the claimant needs to meet two Contribution Conditions, the first can only be met with NI Contributions that can only be acquired through paid employment or registered Self-Employment.

The second Condition can be met by NI Contributions or NI Credits, the latter are received while claiming some benefits.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: madgemadge

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.