× Members

PIP Help

More
8 years 2 months ago #149643 by Krill
PIP Help was created by Krill
Hi,

I need some advice if possible. I am not sure whether or not I would be eligible for PIP. I have read the guide but can't find an answer.

I'll try to keep it short. I have cancer in the spine and take a chemo drug daily which I will take for as long as it works - hopefully a long time. I still work full time and during the day, apart from pains, some tiredness and other side effects I have grown used to, I am fine.

My problems start when the evening comes. The physical exertion of being up and awake in the day leaves me extremely tired by late afternoon to evening. I have to sleep for a couple of hours then pretty well can't do anything but sit and do nothing until I go to bed.

Because I am ok during the day and only have problems in the later half of the day, is it worth applying for PIP?

I wonder how the assessment would go because during the day time I look pretty normal.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149648 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP Help
Hi Krill

I guess the only answer to your question is, if you don't apply you certainly won't get an award!

Read through the guides to applying for PIP; look at the application form and see where you feel the descriptors apply to you and for how long each day. Explain fully how you are affected by your illness; where and when the pain strikes you (I know you can't be totally specific but you can keep a brief diary to remind yourself when and how and for how long).

Do you have any side effects from your medication? Is your immune system affected, and if so, how do you respond to treatment (antibiotics, say) if you develop an infection. Are there any situations that you have to avoid because of your treatment?

All of these things should be mentioned, I think; the fact that you are incapacitated in the evening and not during the day should be explained, and you should explain fully for how long you suffer from the fatigue after you have finished your day at work.

That's all you can do; send along evidence from your various consultants and your GP regarding your treatment; and then leave it up to the decision maker. As I said at the beginning, if you don't apply, you certainly won't get and award, so the worst that can happen is that you remain as you are.

Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149678 by Krill
Replied by Krill on topic PIP Help
Thanks for the reply, like you say, I won't know unless I try. You have given me some ideas because there are a number of side effects like being allergic to the sun which can cause problems.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.