× Members

Whose wrong, me or DWP? High Mobility DLA

More
8 years 2 months ago #149704 by funmum
My son has been awarded low rate mobility. He can walk 50-100m or so slowly, but only a maximum of twice a day without suffering severe discomfort.

I understood that this met the criteria for higher rate mobility as he cannot do this a reasonable number of times a day, just once or twice max. I have in mind that I read a judgement referencing the theoretical fact that someone who could walk even 400m, but only once a day, could be considered to be virtually incapable of walking.

I didn't submit any medical evidence supporting my assertion that he can only walk this distance, or that he can only walk it twice a day. But DWP did not request any corroboration from my sons doctors.

So before considering whether or not to appeal, I wanted to know the reason for which he was declined.

When i rang DWP, the officer (much more brusque and unpleasant to speak to than all the other officers I had spoken to on pre-claim DWP helplines!) insisted that he failed the "virtually unable to walk" test because he can walk 51m without experiencing severe discomfort. I went on about him beng unable to do this more than twice a day and certanly not a reasonable number of times a day, but she was adamant that because he can walk 51m once a day he is not virtually unable to walk and can not be awarded higher rate mobility.

I presume this is why they did not seek medical evidence about my assertions , because they considered that he failed the test at the first hurdle.

So what is the correct situation please?

Andi f I am right, am correct in thinking that there is no way the DWP would backtrack on something like this (ie an error in applying the eligibility criteria) at mandatory consideration stage?

Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149709 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Whose wrong, me or DWP? High Mobility DLA
funmum

I don't think it is as clear cut as you would like it.

There is no defined distance for DLA in regard to being virtually unable to walk, although it is generally taken as being 50m. There are a number of factors that have to be taken into account when considering a claimants ability to walk; the distance, the manner of their walking, the speed, whether they trip and fall.

I note that your son was awarded Low Rate Mobility, if this was for Agoraphobia or another condition that severely restricts his ability to go out, then this may also be a factor as there is Case Law that in précis says that walking ability cannot be considered if the claimant does not leave the house.

Your stating that the can walk 50m-100m is unlikely to have helped as this would suggest that he can repeatedly walk 50m and that he can do this more than once a day.

The DWP are not required to seek further information as part of an assessment and certainly won't now so if you want information from your son's doctors to be considered then you will need to source this yourself.

It's unlikely that a DM will revise the current Decision without additional and significant evidence, especially as you have spoken to the original DM on the phone.

You need to be aware that any request for an MR or appeal can be expanded from the Mobility component to the full award if the those looking at it consider it to be reasonable based on the evidence before them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #149715 by funmum
Replied by funmum on topic Whose wrong, me or DWP? High Mobility DLA
I did make it absolutely crystal clear that he can walk under 100m a max of one or two times a day. I was very explicit and was clear about what would happen to him if he did more than this.

The low rate mobility award was to do with not being safe out and about on his own.

My question is more about what the criteria are for passing the high rate mobility test.

If it is to walk 51+ metres (as the DWP officer said) once a day only, then I agree completely that my son fails this test.

If it is (as I thought) to be able to walk this distance a reasonable number of times each day, or some such other criteria (in my mind I had the 400m once per day judge's comment), then believe he passes the test.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149716 by Gordon

funmum wrote: I did make it absolutely crystal clear that he can walk under 100m a max of one or two times a day. I was very explicit and was clear about what would happen to him if he did more than this.

The low rate mobility award was to do with not being safe out and about on his own.

My question is more about what the criteria are for passing the high rate mobility test.

If it is to walk 51+ metres (as the DWP officer said) once a day only, then I agree completely that my son fails this test.

If it is (as I thought) to be able to walk this distance a reasonable number of times each day, or some such other criteria (in my mind I had the 400m once per day judge's comment), then believe he passes the test.

As I said in my previous post, it really isn't that simple.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #149717 by funmum
Replied by funmum on topic Whose wrong, me or DWP? High Mobility DLA
Oh! Can you explain further at all please? I was trying to answer the points you made in your other reply.
Thank you

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149721 by Gordon

funmum wrote: Oh! Can you explain further at all please? I was trying to answer the points you made in your other reply.
Thank you

You are looking for a black and white, yes or no answer to something that is inherently grey, this has always been the great problem with DLA.

I've looked up the Case Law you are referring to, it is CDLA/805/1994 and whilst it does refer to 400m I don't think that it is entirely supportive of what you are saying. The argument of the case is that although the claimant could walk, by their own admission 400m, having done so they could not walk for some considerable time afterwards.

The UTT Judge states that there are factors where a claimant would not be regarded as being virtually unable to walk, having walked 400m and there were also factors where they would be classed as being virtually unable to walk, despite their having walked 400m, the Judge does not specify which category they think the claimant falls into.

www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/CDLA_805_1994.pdf

But their reason for overturning the FTT Decision is;

the tribunal's decision is erroneous in point of law because the chairman failed to record any finding on the claimant's assertion that there were periods when he was unable to walk at all after he had walked a moderate distance.

In other words the UTT Judge is saying that it was the failure to investigate the factors surrounding the claimants walking rather than the distance that was at issue.

What the law says

12(a) his physical condition as a whole is such that, without having regard to circumstances peculiar to that person as to the place of residence or as to place of, or nature of, employment–

(i) he is unable to walk; or

(ii) his ability to walk out of doors is so limited, as regards the distance over which or the speed at which or the length of time for which or the manner in which he can make progress on foot without severe discomfort, that he is virtually unable to walk; or

(iii) the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to his life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in his health;

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1991/2890/regulation/12/made

Repeatability is not specifically mentioned, there is Case Law which argues that it is a factor that should be considered, but again the argument is not a clear one as it is with reference to the distance, the speed or the time taken rather than a simple case of the walk needing to be repeatable.

So to try and summarise, it is for you to argue that despite the distance walked being greater then the generally accepted 50m, when factors such as the recovery time following a walk are taken into account your son should be considered to be virtually unable to walk because of the speed of their walking or the time it would take.

There is a guide in the DLA section that covers arguing walking distances.

Gordon

tags: @CDLA/805/1994

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.