× Members

Obtaining a fit note, GP retired

More
8 years 2 months ago #149819 by herptothederp
Obtaining a fit note, GP retired was created by herptothederp
Hi I have social anxiety and have been unemployed for over 8 years. I having been thinking about applying for esa for a long time but have only now worked up the courage to begin the process.

To get to the point, I am under the care of my GP and he has recently retired. He at least had some vague awareness of my condition. I don't really know what to do now, is it a bad idea to ask a doctor I have never seen before for a fit note? At best I think it will be a huge struggle for me to get put in the WRAG and I dont want to make things even worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149830 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Obtaining a fit note, GP retired
Hi Ianucci

There might be a good case for your delaying slightly your application for ESA until you have established some sort of relationship with your new GP? He/she will have a record of your medical condition, and may be in a position to refer you to someone who can be of more benefit to you in any application you make. Are you under the care of anyone other than your (retired) GP?

Possibly the best idea would be to make an appointment with your new GP and discuss how you feel and ask his/her opinion of your applying for ESA (or any other benefit that might be appropriate). You'll need to make an appointment anyway if you are on medication or therapy? Don't rush into anything until you are sure you have the support of your medical team. It's very important that they support you.

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: herptothederp

More
8 years 2 months ago #149931 by herptothederp
Replied by herptothederp on topic Obtaining a fit note, GP retired
No I am not under the care of the community mental health team or anything like that. I am on medication, that is the only treatment I recieve. I don't believe therapy will help me any further at this point.

Thankyou for your advice, I will speak to my new GP and hopefully they will be supportive.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152812 by herptothederp
I finally saw my GP yesterday and feel a bit disheartened to be honest. She asked me 'do you want to work?' I found that quite insulting and inappropriate. I do not feel she took my problems particularly seriously, she didnt spend a lot of time asking me questions. She did repeat how helpful work can be to those with anxiety. I would love a job and do think it would help me were I able to find one I could actually cope with!

She gave me a fit note and a card for the local wellbeing service but I dont really know what to do now. I could apply for ESA but I dont think my GP would be of any particular help to my claim.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152838 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Obtaining a fit note, GP retired

ianucci wrote: I finally saw my GP yesterday and feel a bit disheartened to be honest. She asked me 'do you want to work?' I found that quite insulting and inappropriate. I do not feel she took my problems particularly seriously, she didnt spend a lot of time asking me questions. She did repeat how helpful work can be to those with anxiety. I would love a job and do think it would help me were I able to find one I could actually cope with!

She gave me a fit note and a card for the local wellbeing service but I dont really know what to do now. I could apply for ESA but I dont think my GP would be of any particular help to my claim.

I can understand your disappointment but it's actually not that unusual.

A good place to start would be for your to take the ESA test

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and...e/start-the-esa-test

This will give you a better understanding of whether you meet the criteria for an award or not and what areas you are likely to qualify under.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154263 by herptothederp
When applying for ESA do your fit notes all have to be from the same doctor? I can't get an appointment with my GP before my first fit note expires.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.