× Members

ESA re Assessment

More
8 years 2 months ago #149901 by Bamboozal
ESA re Assessment was created by Bamboozal
Hi am looking for help and advise for my friend regarding re assessment of ESA after being put in the support group after tribunal 3 yrs ago due to substantial risk, due to schizophrenia & suicide attempts. He was accompanied by his CPN at the time.

He received an ESA50 last November, previously I had helped him fill in the appeal forms etc for tribunal using your guides successfully and was helping him complete the form when his current CPN told him that putting down too much info as explained in the guides would go against him so the CPN filled in the form for him using bullet points only and telling him that ATOS would HAVE to contact them to get a report so not to worry. He never mentioned that his condition was worse than 3 yrs ago.

This morn an appointment for an assessment arrived and hes in a mess!, they have not requested a psychiatric report, he has social phobias, schizophrenia and attempted suicide history and is heavily medicated and there is no way he can attend unless accompanied by his CPN who won't be able to go with him.

Any advise would be very welcome , as hes been let down so much, I don't know what to advise him?

Bam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149913 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA re Assessment
Bamboozal

Let's deal with the assessment first.

If one has been booked then your friend has realistically gone past the point where an supporting medical professionals will be contacted by Maximus, so his CPN and/or his GP have got to write a letter asking for at the least a home assessment, they need to explain in detail why he cannot attend at their offices.

If any face to face assessment is going to cause unreasonable mental distress then I would involve his MP as it would suggest that the contents of his ESA50 are insufficient to warrant a paper based assessment, if they were then I would have expect one to be done.

Contacting your MP

As to his CPN, he has first hand knowledge of your friends conditions and the training to explain them, so his help in filling out the ESA50 would undoubtedly be invaluable, but he does seem to lack knowledge of how the system actually works. For example; there is no legal requirement for the assessor to contact any of the claimants health professionals and the simple reality is they is the vast majority of claims they do not!

As to using bullet points rather than a more detailed response, I think the proof of this approach will be in the end result, although they don't seem to be doing very well so far.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bamboozal

More
8 years 2 months ago #149929 by Bamboozal
Replied by Bamboozal on topic ESA re Assessment
Hi Gordon,

Thank u sooo much for your reply, I will pass on the all your advise, it will
help immensely. I have to agree that although the CPN is indeed a great help to my friend
he did say that he had not had much experience of helping people filling in the forms
but recently there had been a lot of requests for help with them that had not existed before.

Thanks again and I will update the forum on the outcome

Bam :unsure:

More
8 years 2 months ago #151098 by Bamboozal
Replied by Bamboozal on topic ESA re Assessment
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, my friends CPN rang and asked why he had been called for a medical and they said that its cos there was not enough info on the form ( as we suspected) to make a discision, they have recheduled the assessment for 5 weeks time and his CPN is sending them a a full report on his condition, asking for a home visit if he has to have a medical so his CPN can be present.

So will see what happens.
Thanks again for all your help xxx

More
8 years 2 months ago #151137 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA re Assessment
Thanks for the update. I do hope the CPN has learned something from this!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bamboozal

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.