× Members

esa savings thresh hold/job centre letter

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151074 by libran1962
esa savings thresh hold/job centre letter was created by libran1962
hi

please could you advise?iv read through the faq but im still confused .firstly what is the savings threshold for esa support group?

i know it depends on whether its ir or cb but when iv read my letter from 2014 (I got married and husband has more than 16k savings)it says that im not getting any more ir esa

then where it says how its worked out it says extra money for support group £35.75,giving a total income related amount of £35.75 less 0.0 living expenses my me and my partner so would have been entitled to £35.75 however because im entitled to contribution based esa the amount will be £108.75.

does this mean I am only getting cb esa?

the reason I ask is because I have just had a job centre plus letter saying each year we look at the savings that may affect your allowance.you have told us that your partner has over £16k savings.we need to know if these savings have changed and to send such things as latest bank statements/building society books etc plus any details of savings not listed above.

i now have savings of my own due to a personal injury claim,plus back pay of esa two yrs ago plus back pay of pip recently.do I need to send mine or my husbands or both?i don't think he will want to send his as he doesn't and never has claimed anything.

another letter that came at the same time says that every year they look at the amount of allowance which they pay towards my housing costs and that they have written to my mortgage company because they pay some of the housing costs to them.they used to but havnt since I got married almost two years ago.

im totally confused and would appreciate any advice

kindest wishes suzanne
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by . Reason: broken up into paragraphs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151079 by

libran1962 wrote: hi

please could you advise?iv read through the faq but im still confused .firstly what is the savings threshold for esa support group?

i know it depends on whether its ir or cb but when iv read my letter from 2014 (I got married and husband has more than 16k savings)it says that im not getting any more ir esa

then where it says how its worked out it says extra money for support group £35.75,giving a total income related amount of £35.75 less 0.0 living expenses my me and my partner so would have been entitled to £35.75 however because im entitled to contribution based esa the amount will be £108.75.

does this mean I am only getting cb esa?

the reason I ask is because I have just had a job centre plus letter saying each year we look at the savings that may affect your allowance.you have told us that your partner has over £16k savings.we need to know if these savings have changed and to send such things as latest bank statements/building society books etc plus any details of savings not listed above.

i now have savings of my own due to a personal injury claim,plus back pay of esa two yrs ago plus back pay of pip recently.do I need to send mine or my husbands or both?i don't think he will want to send his as he doesn't and never has claimed anything.

another letter that came at the same time says that every year they look at the amount of allowance which they pay towards my housing costs and that they have written to my mortgage company because they pay some of the housing costs to them.they used to but havnt since I got married almost two years ago.

im totally confused and would appreciate any advice

kindest wishes suzanne

Hi l1962,

Welcome to Benefits and Work Forum :)

As you can see, I have had to break your post up into paragraphs as the one solid block of text that you posted was near impossible to read !

Being in The Support Group (SG) or indeed The WRAG is not relevant to the capital, assets and savings threshold rules.

The capital, assets and savings threshold rules are only relevant to your entitlement to payment of Income Related (IR) ESA and they are not relevant to your entitlement to payment of Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

As you will see in our FAQ : Asset rule for receipt of IR ESA

From our : ESA FAQ’s

If you or your partner have capital, assets or savings in excess of £16,000, you will not be entitled to any IR ESA payments at all !!

So Yes, from what you have written, you will only be receiving CB ESA payments.

Currently payments of CB ESA only in The SG for an over 25 year old is £109.30/Week (£218.60/Fortnight)

See : Benefit Rates 2015/16

Any compensation that you have received due to a Personal Injury settlement may be taken into account, dependent on whether you set up a Personal Injury Trust or not. (You should have been advised by your Solicitor regarding this.)

Any capital as a result of back payments of "Benefits" should not be counted for 52 weeks.

You need to inform DWP of all and any capital, assets and savings that either of you have if they have made a request, as entitlement to IR ESA is assessed as a couple and not just for the claimant.

Even if you are only entitled to CB ESA, it may cause problems if you fail to provide information to The DWP which they have requested, although you could query why they need the information if you have no entitlement to IR ESA.

There are also rules regarding Household Income and any hours worked by a partner for entitlement to IR ESA : 24 hour work rule for payment of IR ESA

If the "housing costs that your speak of are SMI then Yes, you would lose that too once you lost your entitlement to IR ESA.

You would also lose your entitlement to free prescriptions and dental care, and any entitlement to your maximum HB entitlement and Council Tax Support.

As all : ESA Premiums are paid as IR ESA, you would lose entitlement to payment of all/any of those as well !

Try these : Benefits Calculators. which should give you a very good idea of your maximum benefit entitlement.

If you are still unsure, you should try to seek professional advice, see : This Topic.

I hope that helps ! :)

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your ESA related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago #151097 by libran1962
Replied by libran1962 on topic esa savings thresh hold/job centre letter
dear bro
firstly i apologise about the format of my txt, i used to write proficiently but these days i really struggle plus we've had 10 days of husbands dad in intensive care and i am running on empty.my question was so garbled it shames me.i do really appreciate your reply and advice and have tried to keep this reply brief.
it does sound like im on contribution based only, and i think its a mistake by admin that they say they are paying part of my mortgage etc.iv paid for prescriptions etc since i got married too.the compensation payment was for a fall and was £6000 but maybe solicitors only advise on big pay outs
anyway thank you again
it is appreciated
kindest regards
suzanne
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 2 months ago #151136 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic esa savings thresh hold/job centre letter
Libran, is the fall for which you received compensation related to the reason you claim ESA? If so, you might be obliged to pay back some of the ESA you received. If not, the money is yours, I hope you are able to enjoy spending it!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: libran1962

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151138 by

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: Libran, is the fall for which you received compensation related to the reason you claim ESA? If so, you might be obliged to pay back some of the ESA you received. If not, the money is yours, I hope you are able to enjoy spending it!

Yes MHB,

That is correct, The DWP Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU) can claim any benefits back that you have received as a direct result of the Personal Injury in question for up to a maximum of the 5 previous years preceding The Personal Injury Award settlement.

Again, l1962's Solicitor should have dealt with this !

This is because basically you cannot receive payment for the same thing twice !!

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago #151170 by libran1962
Replied by libran1962 on topic esa savings thresh hold/job centre letter
hi
no the esa is for illness and totally unrelated.hopefully because im on cb its irrelevant but cant believe the solicitor didnt advise me re trust fund
thank you again
kind regards
suzanne

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.