× Members

Sharing of information

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151576 by lu666
Sharing of information was created by lu666
I have a question about the sharing of information between ATOS and my GP and I was hoping that someone out there may be able to clarify what the situation is regarding consent of sharing information between agencies. I agreed to ATOS getting details from my GP and a m fine with this. At my assessment (DLA to PIP) however, the assessor said that she wanted to contact my GP to tell them some information that was in the form I completed that my GP was not aware of.

To cut a long story short, I have chronic mental health problems and often find that intervention by health professionals is overwhelming. It isn't that I'm deliberately non-compliant, nor that I am resisting treatment in a life-threatening situation, nor am I under any kind of Section or has there been any implication that I am legally not of sound mind. It is that I know that interventions when I am not 'in the right place' can actually make me far worse.

I explained this in the form that I completed for my assessment. The assessor said that she was concerned that my GP wasn't aware and that she was concerned for my health, then asked if she could call my GP. I declined politely. She then put pressure on me, including telling me that it was her duty to do so. Given that I was under extreme stress, as you would expect from someone whose diagnosis includes anxiety and having waited for 45 mins in the waiting area and being in the assessment itself, I eventually gave in. I think this was unfair as I felt pressurised.

I am aware that this isn't the most major problem in the world, and that there will be people on here with much greater problems to face, but this issue has caused me a lot of anxiety since my appointment 3 days ago and I have become preoccupied with worrying about it. At the moment, I really need to avoid any further stressors to prevent me being pushed further towards the edge. It is difficult to explain on here why the interventions would be so stressful, but I did explain it fully in my form.
I was honest on my form as I wanted to show how my life is like, but at the same time I don't have to accept treatment so there is no reason why ATOS has to share this info and I feel that I shouldn't have been put under pressure. If anyone has information on what the consent agreement that we opt into for sharing info between DWP, ATOS, GP etc is, that would help.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151603 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Sharing of information
Hi lu666 and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The form that you signed gives permission for ATOS to contact your GP for information regarding your condition (they don't do this often in any case). The HealthCare Practitioner who saw you will have a professional obligation to report to your doc if they believe your health and wellbeing are at risk. They have to ask your permission but - in extreme cases - they are allowed to break confidentiality if they think this is the only way to go. If you believe they have overstepped the mark and acted in an unprofessional manner, you can report them to their governing body (depending on whether the assessor was a Doctor, nurse, physiotherapist etc).

I am tempted to say 'Don't worry' but I know it is hard not to worry about this as anxiety is part of your problem :(

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #151951 by lu666
Replied by lu666 on topic Sharing of information
Hi there Mrs Hurtyback (great name btw) and thank you. That has helped clarify the situation and I have also calmed down a bit after my initial outrage. My doctors have been calling so I'm going to discuss with them, at least it'll make me feel I've got some say in it (however deluded that may be!).

Thanks again and best wishes
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.