× Members

ESA renewed without me knowing?!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151849 by Colin Locock
ESA renewed without me knowing?! was created by Colin Locock
My question is regarding ESA (Support Group) renewal. I have been claiming since early 2013 due to being ill with a Brain Tumour. After a while I called DWP to ask how long my award was for and was told, I think, 18 months. But at that time, and since, I have heard nothing about renewal. All I have heard is that my Consultant sent a bill to them for a medical report. Also I heard nothing after 12 months when I understand I would have switched from CB to IB ESA, but when I asked them for proof of my claim for Housing Benefit after 2 years (I moved house) I was informed that I was claiming Income Based ESA.

Is it possible I was switched to IB ESA without being told and that my ESA (Support Group) was renewed similarly without my being aware, i.e. dealt with by DWP and my Doctors? Also I received another £10 Christmas bonus, paid very late, which I thought was for CB benefits only?!

Touch wood I have recovered quite well and am hoping to return to part-time work this year, so I’m not tooo worried either way, but I would like to take advantage of the Permitted Hours rules.

Thanks, Colin
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151859 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA renewed without me knowing?!
Hi and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site this link should help you find your way around. I'm glad that your treatment has been successful and you are doing well :)

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I don't know if you are aware that your real name is visible on the forum? Many people prefer to use an alias in order to maintain a degree of anonymity. You can change your username easily by following the advice in this FAQ.

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

For claimants in the Support Group, there is no 365 day limit to payment, this apples only to people not in the Support group. Therefore there would be no reason for your claim to become Income-Related (and you would have been required to fill in a form giving details of your finances if it did).

The whole assessment system became very backlogged and routine reassessments were suspended for several years. During this time it is possible that your claim file was reviewed and your review date extended - or it might simply have been pushed back without anyone looking at your file.Either way, reassessments have resumed now in many areas.

If you wish to know when to expect reassessment you can phone DWP and ask - this will not trigger the process.

Whatever your situation regarding review, you can apply for permitted work if you wish.

Permitted Work

If you have further queries regarding your ESA claim please reply to this message and we will do our best to reply. It helps us p- and you - if all queries relating to the same subject are kept in one place. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now.

Thank you for your future co=operation in keeping all ESA related posts in one place :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.