× Members

Another ESA50 form to complete Please help/advise

More
8 years 1 month ago #153184 by tabby026
Hi, I was put in the support group for ESA in June 2014. I now have been sent another ESA50 form to complete. I was put in the ESA Support Group under the descriptor 1B, due to my cerebral palsy.

My condition is for life and has not changed, so do I just repeat everything I put on my form from before??

Also would it go in my favour that I was awarded the highest rate of PIP mobility in November 2015?

I am not sure if my doctor would do a letter for me, and I currently cannot get NHS physiotherapy, however I see an osteopath privately once a week, for mobilising my lower limbs. Would a letter from her be useful?

If anyone could help/advise me I would really appreciate it, as I only went through this process with PIP in Oct/Nov 2015.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153185 by bro58

tabby026 wrote: Hi, I was put in the support group for ESA in June 2014. I now have been sent another ESA50 form to complete. I was put in the ESA Support Group under the descriptor 1B, due to my cerebral palsy.

My condition is for life and has not changed, so do I just repeat everything I put on my form from before??

Also would it go in my favour that I was awarded the highest rate of PIP mobility in November 2015?

I am not sure if my doctor would do a letter for me, and I currently cannot get NHS physiotherapy, however I see an osteopath privately once a week, for mobilising my lower limbs. Would a letter from her be useful?

If anyone could help/advise me I would really appreciate it, as I only went through this process with PIP in Oct/Nov 2015.

Many thanks

Hi t026,

Thanks for starting a fresh topic for your ESA query rather than tagging on to your other PIP topics :)

As you may know where as The PIP "Moving Around" Activity for Mobility only assesses your ability to "Stand then Move" "Walk" , The Mobilising Activity 1 for ESA also assesses your ability to self propel a manual wheelchair unaided. This is even if you have never owned, used or been advised to use a manual wheelchair.

See :

Activity

1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used.

Descriptors

1 Cannot either:

(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

The Functional Support Group (SG) (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Activities/Descriptors

So you could use your Enhanced PIP Mobility Award as evidence but you should also address the fact that not only can you not walk the requisite distance, neither would it be "Reasonable" to expect you to self propel a manual wheelchair the same distance unaided.

Remember not to make the mistake of writing anything in your ESA50 and supporting evidence that would contradict your PIP award !!

This is easily done if you tie yourself to an absolute distance that you can "Mobilise" !!

e.g. ESA = 50 metres. PIP = 20 metres !!!

Have a read through : This Post as well !!

You can use older evidence, but make it very clear that your resulting limitations have not diminished since the date of the evidence and if you can gain a letter from your G.P. or another HCP supporting that fact, that should help further,

Just to make you aware that : The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) (aka HAAS) (Maximus) who took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15 now carry out ESA Assessments/Re-Assessments.

There have not been any changes to ESA Legislation since January 2013, however you should always use our most current Guides.

There have been some changes to The ESA50 itself.

Now that you have The ESA50, you may want to consider :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (aka CHDA, aka HAAS.)

You should treat this re-assessment as if it was your first assessment and not assume that The Assessor will have access to any of your previous evidence. They may not even know that you are currently in The SG, so you should make it clear that you are.

It is therefore important that you reiterate how and why you still qualify for The SG, in that the limitations that you suffer as a result of your medical conditions have not changed nor diminished to such an extent that you no longer qualify for The SG.

Nor have you learned to deal with or adapt to your limitations since your last assessment.

As you are aware how and why you were placed into The SG last time, you could cite that also.

If you want to obtain fresh evidence such as a letter of support from your G.P., obtain it yourself and post it with the ESA50.

Do not rely on Maximus/DWP contacting your G.P. , even if you request that they do so.

They seldom do and are not legally obliged to do so.

Please keep us updated !! :)

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your ESA related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153222 by tabby026
Thank you for the advice. So even though I do not use a wheelchair, do I still have to mention (in the mobilising section) that I cannot propel from a manual wheelchair unaided??

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago #153223 by bro58

tabby026 wrote: Thank you for the advice. So even though I do not use a wheelchair, do I still have to mention (in the mobilising section) that I cannot propel from a manual wheelchair unaided??

Hi t026,

Yes, and explain how and why you can't self propel a manual wheelchair unaided.

This issue is covered in our ESA Claims Guide on Physical Health conditions.

bro58

More
8 years 1 month ago #153232 by tabby026
Thanks.

With regards to additional evidence, if I was able to get a letter from my GP, would it be helpful to include something along the lines of.....

A list of my current conditions
That I was placed in the Support group under descriptor.....
Say that I still need to be in the Support Group
as my conditions have not improved or changed in any way

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago #153241 by bro58

tabby026 wrote: Thanks.

With regards to additional evidence, if I was able to get a letter from my GP, would it be helpful to include something along the lines of.....

A list of my current conditions
That I was placed in the Support group under descriptor.....
Say that I still need to be in the Support Group
as my conditions have not improved or changed in any way

Hi t026,

If you are to write a letter to your G.P. requesting a letter of support, try and shy away from being seen to "lead" your G.P.

You could ask them to provide confirmation of the medical conditions that they treat you for and the medication that they prescribe.

You could print off copy of : The Functional Support Group (SG) (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Activities/Descriptors , attach the copy to your letter and ask them to comment on which of the ESA SG Activities/Descriptors are applicable to you due to the limitations that you suffer as a result of your medical conditions.

That way, you are not telling them which Activities/Descriptors apply to you, which could be seen as "leading" !!

This also cuts down on the chances of your G.P. writing "Mr X tells me that they suffer xxxx limitations in carrying out Activity/Descriptor xx or "Mrs X states that they can only "Mobilise" xx metres Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely for the Majority of The Time."

I am afraid that unless you have a very supportive G.P. you may have to settle for what they choose to write, then elaborate further yourself.

Basically, you need confirmation of the medical conditions that you suffer with.

Then list the limitations that you suffer as a result of the medical conditions.

Then tie the resulting limitations into the applicable Activities/Descriptor where the the limitations would prevent you from carry out the Activity Repeatedly, Reliable and Safely for The Majority of The Time.

See This Post from Gordon.

Although it is with regards to PIP, the same would apply for relevant ESA Activities.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.