× Members

Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits

More
8 years 1 month ago #154370 by Reality
Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits was created by Reality
Benefits have calculated a Notional Amount and say I am not eligible for Housing Benefit or Council Tax - even though I have fallen below the threshold - can anyone help who has been through this please?
I am preparing for an Appeal.
Thanks in anticipation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154396 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits
Hi Julie

First of all, have you checked with the local government website assessment form to see whether or not you qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax? If not , you should do that before anything else. If you're not happy doing this yourself, you can approach CAB who will run a complete benefits check for you..

Once you have checked, and ensured that you are entitled to these benefits, then gather your information together and put in an appeal. I'm not familiar with how a Notional Amount is calculated - hopefully the Benefits Agency will be lacking some important piece of information and that is why they've come to this unfortunate decision. :)

More
8 years 1 month ago #154578 by Reality
Replied by Reality on topic Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits
Thank you for your e.mail, yes, I applied for Housing Benefits and Council Tax when I dropped below the threshold (I have been living off the proceeds of the sale of my flat for for 32 months) they are asking for receipts for everything I've spent in this time and have made up a notional amount because I have hardly any receipts. I have been to the CAB but they are not much help and I am appealing though don't know anything about this situation. I was never informed that this is what would be expected. I am placed I. A dire situation because of this.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154591 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits
Julie

We don't advise on Housing Benefit so we are limited in the advice that we can give.

You can try finding another welfare advisor in your area, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Have you looked through your bank and credit card statements to see whether you can provide the missing information?

I'm afraid without proof of how you have disposed of the savings you may struggle to overturn the Decision.

Once you have reasonably disposed of the Notional Amount you should be able to receive benefits again.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #154599 by Perdita
Replied by Perdita on topic Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits
Hi Julie
I am too living off my savings from the sale of my former home. One day I will be below the threshold. I am wondering now whether I should start keeping all receipts. It ll prob be 2 years before I get to the threshold at a guess. Sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare, I sympathise. I think I will be in the same boat as you. All the best

More
8 years 1 month ago #154712 by Reality
Replied by Reality on topic Appeal on Notional Amount by Benefits
Hi,
Make sure you keep ALL your receipts, they may even have a CAP on spending, such as something they may regard as excessive, such as a holiday. You'll be ok if you have receipts. Keep all your bank statements too.

Yes, it is a nightmare, if I have no Housing Benefits or Council Tax The reality is I will not be able to survive. I have been on a long holiday.......
Thanks for your well wishes.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.