× Members

Pensions and ESA

More
8 years 1 month ago #154972 by steveinleo59
Pensions and ESA was created by steveinleo59
Having a look at accessing my pension plans, to buy a car more suited to my disability's. About 10K would get what I need.

The first obstacle was the 25% tax free lump sum, because you have to decide what you do with the remaining 75%. What I found out was that for example you opt to take 25% and then cash lump sums for the next ten years, Your initial 25% tax free is divided over the ten years.

Next issue I have come across is trying to decide what we can take out without hurting our benefits?

We get ESA income based for me & the wife, Housing Benefit full amount and council tax max amount for our 1 bed housing association bungalow.

ESA say you can have £6K of savings but is there a total income level that you fall foul of if you take £6K of pension to buy a disability car?

So far I'm confused on the savings and pension rules for over 55's.

Please can anyone advise me, as the pensions advice line only looks at working peoples pension advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154991 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pensions and ESA
Steve

You really need to get face to face advice as we cannot give detailed advice about financial matters on the forum.

It is usual for one off pension payments to be treated as capital. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

however regular payments and there is no definition of how regular they need to be, can be treated as income instead and would be deducted from your ESA £ for £. I don't think that an annual payment would be treated in this way but I cannot state this for certain.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #155060 by steveinleo59
Replied by steveinleo59 on topic Pensions and ESA
Hi Gordon.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

All of the dot gov and pension wise info doesn't advise for people not working and on benefits. Also they miss lead people in the TV adverts as you have to plan the remainder of your pension plan and then the 25% lump sum tax free get's spread across the planned number of years.

While I accept your point on the validity and privacy of financial matters, people using the forum might be interested in what we discover, as I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to access pension plans to supplement the PIP shambles that deprives disabled people from accessing basic road transport especially if they live rurally.

Regards Steve.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155070 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pensions and ESA

steveinleo59 wrote: Hi Gordon.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

All of the dot gov and pension wise info doesn't advise for people not working and on benefits. Also they miss lead people in the TV adverts as you have to plan the remainder of your pension plan and then the 25% lump sum tax free get's spread across the planned number of years.

While I accept your point on the validity and privacy of financial matters, people using the forum might be interested in what we discover, as I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to access pension plans to supplement the PIP shambles that deprives disabled people from accessing basic road transport especially if they live rurally.

Regards Steve.

As long as you don't mind us including a disclaimer that whilst the advice might be correct for you there is no guarantee that it would apply to others :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.