× Members

Blow hot & cold re: applying for PIP

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155815 by petrocelli
Blow hot & cold re: applying for PIP was created by petrocelli
:woohoo:

Hi all

Forgive my ignorance regarding PIP as I’ve been, IB to ESA C SG.

I blow hot and cold because I’ve only recently become aware that it’s quite probable that I’d qualify for PIP. Like so many though, it’s having the wherewithal to go through it twice. However, I think that with PIP being a passport benefit, I’m missing out on so much.

Is it possible to get through and be awarded PIP on paper alone, like I did with my ESA?

Is there anything about PIP that would jeopardise my ESA?

Whilst the law classes me as disabled, I’m unable to take advantage of anything regarded as “disabled”, because I’m not in receipt of PIP - say a disabled persons railcard, (for instance)!

Kind regards

P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155831 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Blow hot & cold re: applying for PIP
petrocelli

It is possible to be awarded PIP without a face to face, it will depend on the level of detail in and with your PIP2 and whether your limitations are accepted to be as you describe them. I think it's less likely to happen with a new claim that where the claimant is being re-assessed or has an existing DLA award.

Whilst we have seen PIP and ESA reports used to support of the other we have not seen them used to remove an award or even to trigger a re-assessment. There are areas of overlap, but even where there are, the criteria still remain different.

I can't see from your previous posts whether your ESA has an Income Related element, you need to be aware that most passported benefits require this to be payable/available.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155943 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Blow hot & cold re: applying for PIP
:woohoo: :unsure:

Hi Gordon and thank you

Can I look to find clarity, from my perspective, in your last paragraph please?

I’m on ESA Contribution based (my computer won’t allow me to put a c in brackets, it does something weird when I try) and do not and will not qualify for IR. Therefore, my understanding from your last paragraph is that, because for me there’s no IR qualification now or in future, when it comes to “pass porting”, I’d not qualify for most, even if I successfully claimed PIP.

Hope that makes sense to you Gordon?!

PIP, I assume, when it comes to receiving a small company pension in the not too distant future, would be added to ESA, when it comes to the amount of pension you can receive without it affecting your ESA?

So, it may well pay to let sleeping dogs lie in my case. (That’s me thinking out loud Gordon and not a question I would put to you).

Many thanks for your time and patience. Always a pain weighing up the pros and cons.

Kind regards

P

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156010 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Blow hot & cold re: applying for PIP
petrocelli

It's probably turning your (c) into a copyright symbol!

Yes, all of the ESA Premiums are only payable if you are receiving ESA(IR) in part or in whole, prescriptions, dental care, etc. are also dependant on ESA(IR) and whilst other mean test benefits (e.g. HB) may not be, they will use the same basic calculation as ESA(IR) so if you cannot receive ESA(IR) due to your circumstances then you are unlikely to qualify for other mean tested benefits either.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when referring to a pension, but any pension will first be deducted from any ESA(IR) that is payable and then the remainder will count against the £85/week disregard for ESA(CB).

Obviously if you were awarded PIP then you would receive payment of the award as PIP is not a means tested benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: petrocelli

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.