× Members

ESA and Group Income Protection

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155840 by reg
ESA and Group Income Protection was created by reg
Hi.
I am in receipt of group income protection and was previously on CB ESA in the WRAG group, I have been receiving national contributions since my payments ended. I received an ESA 50 which was filled out and have to attend a WCA soon. My questions are can I close my claim and reopen a claim for IR ESA when my income protection ends? Or do I have to keep the claim live by attending? As I have heard that once a claim is closed I am effectively saying that I am fit for work which is far from the truth. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155842 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Group Income Protection

reg wrote: Hi.
I am in receipt of group income protection and was previously on CB ESA in the WRAG group, I have been receiving national contributions since my payments ended. I received an ESA 50 which was filled out and have to attend a WCA soon. My questions are can I close my claim and reopen a claim for IR ESA when my income protection ends? Or do I have to keep the claim live by attending? As I have heard that once a claim is closed I am effectively saying that I am fit for work which is far from the truth. Any advice?

There's no need for your to close your claim, ESA is a single benefit with two different sets of eligibility criteria, when your policy ends you can just asked to be financially assessed for ESA(IR).

ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that a partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155933 by reg
Replied by reg on topic ESA and Group Income Protection
Hi Gordon.
Thanks for the swift reply. the other day.
I was wondering what the implications of closing the claim would be and how would I reapply at a later date.for IR ESA? I have read that if you close a claim down since the abolishment of the six month rule, you can no longer reapply for ESA unless your symptoms have worsened, or it:s a new illness.
I know you have said there is no need to close the claim but i do find the WCA increases my symptoms. It doesn't seem worth the the problems it is causing me for national insurance creds which are also being paid out of my income protection.
Still haven't decided what action I should take. Any advice?

reg

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156016 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Group Income Protection
Reg

The change to the Regulations only affects claimants who were found Fit for Work by the DWP, closing a claim will not be classed as this.

If you close your current claim then it is likely that you will only be able to make a future claim for ESA(IR), not ESA(CB), unless you work during the interim.

A new claim may be affected by the change to WRAG rate from April 2017.

A new claim may come under the Universal Credit banner.

I'm afraid it's your decision to make!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.