× Members

Help and Advice Please

• SDR
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 weeks ago #155936 by SDR
Help and Advice Please was created by SDR
I am 64 currently in the support group and had a DLA lifetime award for highest rate in both categories. I made it plain that it would be physically and mentally impossible to travel to the ATOS centre for a face to face interview. Nevertheless today eight weeks after starting the process I was sent an appointment for a face to face interview. I phoned and explained I would be unable to attend. I was told as I can make to the Dr monthly I am not considered housebound. Reluctantly it was agreed that a request would be made to review the situation with consideration given to a home visit but it was emphasised this can't really be done by ATOS.
I am to expect a reply within the week.
Question us this - what is the position if they insist I must attend a face to face assessment which if I don't attend means I am likely to have my claim disallowed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #155962 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Help and Advice Please
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm afraid this is quite a common situation :( Have you backed up your request with a letter from your doctor? This is sometimes helpful and you are unlikely to be successful without. Even then, it is entirely at the discretion of ATOS.

There are 2 things that might help - one is to quote the Equalities Act and say that you are requesting a home assessment as 'reasonable adjustment' for your condition. The other is to get your MP involved, sometimes that can do the trick.

Contacting your MP

The claimant is allowed to postpone assessment once so, if you are sent an appointment to attend an assessment centre, you should be able to ask for it to be deferred to give you some time. However, you would then have to keep any further appointment whatever the circumstances or risk your claim being closed.

At the end of the day, if ATOS still insist that you must attend a face2face assessment your claim will be closed if you do not comply.

I am assuming that this is a switch to PIP from DLA? Your DLA will remain in payment for 4 weeks after any PIP decision.

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your PIP related queries to this topic ! :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.